which polarizer ?

jerry_m

<p>I'm about to purchase a 67 mm circular polarizer to use on my 18-70 Nikkor (on a D50). I am torn between the following 2 choices and would appreciate an input from actual users. Option 1 is the Hoya HMC. Option 2 is the Hoya Pro 1 DMC. The filter might be used on other lenses via the appropriate step up rings----Any input or advice from folks who have real experience with these filters would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your input.   Jerry</p>

<p>Well, if you're going to do it, go ahead and get a 77mm filter and the associated (inexpensive!) step-up rings. That way you can use it with later lens purchases as well, should you want to. I've just got the one CP filter, and use it on everything from f/2.8 zooms to ultra-wides (though it's only marginally useful at UW focal lengths, for laws-of-physics reasons).</p>

<p>At 18mm on a D50 you don't need to worry about vignetting with the thicker and cheaper filter. One normal filter does not vignette, two of the thinner Pro 1 stacked do. As regards glass and coating, I think they are equal.<br /> <br /> I happen to have some Hoya filters and don't like their coating. It's hard to properly clean. I have very good experiences with B&W though. In general they are a tad more expensive, and  if you buy one of their slim line filters, you need to be aware that your normal lens cap won't fit while it's mounted, but again, at 18mm you get away with the normal sized filters, and they don't have this problem.</p>

<p>I rather like polarizers that are sized to fit a particular lens.</p>

<p>With larger filters and step up rings, you can't use the Nikon petal lens hood anymore. You're stuck using a third party hood that will let in much more stray light (areas not covered by the Nikon "petal" pattern, and probably designed for an even wider angle then you've got).</p>

Rather than a 67mm filter and potentially needing a step-DOWN ring to mount on a lens w/ 77mm ring (and introducing vignetting!), you really ought to get a 77mm filter and step-UP rings...unless you don't foresee a lens w/ a 72 or 77mm filter ring in your future.

<p>Thanks to all who responded. I like to use the lens hood that go with this lens so step up rings for a larger filter would not work. Anyway, I just ordered the Hoya HMC and it should arrive this week. I will let you know how it works.    Good shooting----Jerry</p>