Which photographer's vest?

sagephotoworld.com

I was looking into getting a photographer's vest for weddings etc.

Looking around I see offerings from all the usual suspects - Quantaray, Tamrac,

Domke etc.

Has anybody any advice on them? I see prices from $50 (Quantaray) and $35

(Campco) with the vast majority being in the $80 - $200 price range. Based on

previous price experience I'd say that the Campco and Quantaray are probably not

going to be much good based on their bargain basement price.

Here's my search:

http://www.google.com/products?q=photographer's+vest&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1

Which do you reckon would be good at a wedding? I'm thinking of carrying two

bodies (around my neck) with a 17-35 Tamron on one and a 28-75 Tamron on the

other with a 17-85 IS in one pocket, a 580EX2 in another pocket and a 580EX2 on

one body. Plus batteries, cards, wipes etc.

I think I might invest in better straps than came with my XT and 30D too.

None of them - I hate vests... I have one but never use it.

IMO, since you don't mind **looking like a photographer** anyway, your best bet would be to get a Lowepro shoulder harness and S&F belt, and just hang holsters and other cases to the belt and harness. That way, weight is distributed to your shoulders and hips, and you have easy access to all your gear.

You could clip one body/lens to the shoulder harness for ready action -- weight on your shoulders not your neck, and you could have the other body/lens in a holster attached to the belt -- within easy reach.

Others, such as Kinesis and I believe Tamrac as well, have similar harness, belt and holsters/cases products as well.

The vest struck me as handy because it means I don't have to carry a bag. It also looked almost formal PLUS I could have my advertising emblazened across the back. Imagine a black vest with a white logo.

The harnesses are another neat idea. It would allow me to wear a standard jacket over it all (Dirty Harry style). I can also see that one pouch might be usable for my 9 mil.

Don't consider price as much as you think, e.g., how can a Billingham photo vest possibly be worth over $250?. I have a $20 fishing vest that I find superior to any "photo" vest I've seen. Check out some fishing equipment stores or websites first.

And US Cavalry for a tactical vest for the 9mm

<i>I think I might invest in better straps than came with my XT and 30D too.</i>

<p>

You might invest in a gym membership too if you're really planning to have two cameras hanging off your neck for a whole wedding, reception, etc. Have you worn two cameras like that before? Except for short periods, hang cameras from your shoulders, not your neck.

<p>

Some people are comfortable carrying lenses in a vest, others are not. I have a vest I use for hiking, not photography, so I have my wallet, cell phone, keys, etc. out of my pants pockets, and even a water bottle on the vest bothers me until I drink it. If I'm taking a camera besides a point-and-shoot, that goes in a camera bag or backpack.

<p>

I'd suggest carrying a lens or two in a parka pocket for a few hours before trying a photo vest.

YOu just reminded me... About 15 - 20 years ago, I bought a Jessops camera waistcoat. I gave it away in the end because it was so uncomfortable. I think the harness is probably a better idea. Heck, the military uses harnesses so they must be good what with all the running and jumping the average soldier does.

The problem I had with my waistcoat was that it pulled me forward all the time.

I was a hard sell on a vest until I got one. I don't shoot weddings but I find a vest a great way to carry equipment. Much more convenient. I leave the bag in the car and take what I might need for the shoot at hand. Would I pay over fifty USD for a vest? No. Mine came from an army surplus for a little over twenty. I can carry two wide lenses or the 18-200 in one of the large pockets and the flash with the PocketWizard bungeed to it in the other one. Plenty of small pockets for cards, extra batteries and cleaning supplies.

I have and use a Campco vest. It is well made and does exactly what it is supposed to do. I've loaded it with a number of 4x5 film holders, two extra lenses, light meter, filters and all the other rubbish I can't stand to be without. The darkcloth, when folded, fits nicely in the rear pocket.

If I'm going to be walking any distance, I prefer keeping everything in a backpack (Lowe Super Trekker) that I can also tie the tripod to.

If you like to get value for your investment, you won't do much better than the Campco. OTOH, if your estimation of the value of an item is wedded to the number on the price tag, go with the $250 vest or some system of harness and bags.

No matter which you choose, you'll still look like a dorky photographer...

I'm more concerned with bags of setting the things down and people falling over them or running off with them. I know there were eyes looking at my bag when I did a wedding some while back. I put it down right in front of everything so that all eyes could see it.

The idea of a combat harness sounds interesting - I can always pad ammunition pouches with closed-cell foam if necessary. If I can get SAS kit here in the US, it'd be really great. Having said that, it's not a major problem to visit Silverman's in London.

<i>I'm thinking of carrying two bodies (around my neck) with a 17-35 Tamron on one and a 28-75 Tamron on the other with a 17-85 IS in one pocket, a 580EX2 in another pocket and a 580EX2 on one body. Plus batteries, cards, wipes etc. -- Rhys

<p><p>

I've loaded it with a number of 4x5 film holders, two extra lenses, light meter, filters and all the other rubbish I can't stand to be without. The darkcloth, when folded, fits nicely in the rear pocket. -- Alan</i>

<p><p>

It's not about value, Alan. It's about utility. The stuff you listed may be fine with a vest, but NO vest, $5 or $500, will feel comfortable with the load that Rhys is talking about. For THAT kind of load, only a bag or a harness/belt system or an assistant will work.

I have a Domke vest, which seems to be made well. The pockets are lined with a tricot material which doesn't cause dust. There are snap tabs in addition to a zipper for convenience. I believe it is available in black. Cotton is notorious for shedding dust which, IMO, rules out a fishing or military style vest.

I use mine for field work, particularly for large format. The pockets are handy for film holders and lens boards, which are too big for normal pockets. It's not so good for heavy lenses because all the weight is on your shoulders with little padding.

I'm not sure even a black vest would meet "dress code" for weddings or events. I wear a standard black vest at weddings because straps always pull a jacket awry.

In short, get one and try it, but don't spend more than necessary. You may like it or it may join the other garments draped over the exercise machine.

At one time both Kodak and Fuji had promotions where you could get a jacket or vest free. I still wear the Kodak jacket which allows you to remove the sleeves and hood easily. Lots of pockets. The Fuji was a vest only, but fit very well. I've had a couple of others which I received by buying something, but they were not as good as the Fuji or Kodak.

Another suggestion is a safari jacket which usually has many secure pockets. The National Geographic catalog often has a few that look good. Also check Cabelas and REI.

The larger Campco/Hummer is a knock-off of Woolrich's safari vest. Almost as well made and less expensive. It wasn't initially designed as a photography vest so the pockets aren't really quite large or deep enough to stash bodies or lenses in and while there is a large rear pocket, stashing a large lens in there isn't going to make it comfortable or easily accessible. I found the weight hangs funny if overloaded. However, if dealing with things like having a cell phone, gps, notebook, assorted filters, filter holders, remotes and smaller gadgets and the like, it will be fine.

There are more expensive photo vests which are sized to accomodate lenses larger than a beer can.

Cabelas and places like them sell "fisherman's" vests that are much cheaper and (so long as you make sure the pockets are of adequate size) work just as well as the 'photographer' vests.

Look at your local discount or sporting goods store in the fishing area, next to the bait and so on. ;)

• 3 months later...
I agree with Jack. Bought a nice photo vest from Banana Republic and loved it. Bought a fishing vest from a local sporting goods store - Academy and used it much more. It was a 1/4 the price of the one from BR and had more pockets and usable spaces. Might have to hunt a bit to find a black one to go with your formal wedding attire.

• 8 months later...
<p>I went to Gander Mountain last night and bought a decent fishing vest for $39.95. Has plenty of pockets and space for what I use. I was able to place my flash, a 55-200 Nikon Lens in its bag, spare batteries for the flash, spare battery for the camera, 2 memory card wallets, and other items with no trouble. I could also stick my Magic Latern guide for the camera in the back if I wanted as well. As far as weight, I used to be a firefighter and was used to wearing an airpack for lengths of time. So no trouble there. IMO, it'd look a bit weird at a wedding or formal dinner or such, but for covering a crash scene, nature shooting or such, it'd work well. Besides, with some of the shooting/hunting vests I saw along with the fishing vests, some of these look comporable to a more expensive photo vest. Just make sure to get the orange/tan or the green. LOL I don't know about wearing camo for photo work.</p>