Which photographer living or dead would you most like to spend a day with, and why?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only pick one? Well I am going to pick many.

Henry Hamilton Bennett -- Those of you who have heard of the Wisconsin Dells can thank this man. Hiking around the wilderness with wet plates to get pictures which made this city a tourist draw (at least for Wisconsin).

Helmut Newton -- I suggest reading his autobiography if you have not. Any time I think, "damn, I don't have enough equipment to get a good shot" I remember how for so many years he worked with a basic MF camera and a single hot light.

So many more..I'll throw William Henry Fox Talbot in the mix for his contributions to our craft.

Without a doubt it would have to be Lisette Model. When another famous photographer (whose name escapes me at the moment) ask her how she achieved the look of her prints she replied "I send the film to be processed at the corner drug store". Something to that effect.

Model was well-known for her darkroom work. She achieved much of her look by shooting from farther away than would be expected and heavily cropping in the darkroom. She was trained in darkroom technique by her older sister.

The "drug store" comment was intended to be an insult to Edward Weston in a sarcastic response to a question of his.

Now that type of attitude certainly makes me want to spend a day with her, as long as, as I said above, she doesn't smell too much.

Interesting question; probably this day would be more fun with Man Ray. Latest interviews show him as a very kind person, funny, natural, intelligent. I don`t know if I`m more impressed by its photography or by its personality. I really love his loose sense of humour. On his tomb the epitaph is explanatory: "Unconcerned but not indifferent".

I said "Avedon" for a reason. He's near the top of my photo hero list, whereas the top remains Edward Weston.

EW, despite being #1, wasn't my pick for the "day with" opportunity because that might entail too much time in the darkroom. And like him, I'm an early riser...but I "vant to be alone" at dawn.

I admire EW's images, his prints, and his women: truthfully I'd only want to make the latter two :-)

Avedon's dedication, vision, and energy are what I'd like to tap.