Which one would you choose?

amanda_lee_seely

<p>What type of sensor does your camera have?<br>

I'd go for the 50/1.2 before the 70-200 (Even though I really want one). You already have a wide angle and that 100mm should handle the long end.<br>

It all depends on your shooting style and how much movement you have at your venues.</p>

<p>The choice would depend on many things--some of them are: what you have now (the complete list of lenses), what sensor you are using (cropped or full frame), and most important, how YOU like to shoot. I would guess there is no answer to the question of usefulness. Suggestions can't be made not knowing the above info. If it were me, I'd go with the 50mm f1.2 first, since I don't have much of a use for a tele zoom (but that's me).</p>

<p>Amanda-lee, And, of course, you have a back up body which will accept all your lenses and a back up flash which is likewise compatible, and close at hand (ie: not in the trunk of your car) ? In case some vital piece of equipment decides to go south during the wedding...............and it will, just a matter of time. Oh, I agree with RT for what it's worth. Best of luck in your endeavor. Very rewarding when things go well & it's a Pro's job to see that things do go well. By the way, welcome to Photo.net. LM.</p>

<p>What primes do you have? While a zoom is helpful for wedding photography they are not as sharp as primes. The 50 is a better lens but not as useful as the 70-200 for weddings. Its a toss up. Of course anyone would always opt for the prime when all the stars are aligned but swithching primes many times in say a ceremony is often difficult. Some people dangle two or even three cameras all with primes from there body while shooting weddings. I found it to be uncomfortable and dangerous to your gear. So if one must be picked first id have to say the 70 -200 assuming you have another lens some where around the 24-70 range to also use. If you have zero lens then the 50mm for sure. It all depends on what primes you already have. What do you have? </p>

<p>Sounds like your reason for thinking to get a new lens is to kick start creativity. Buying a lens to force creativity out of you is a valid thing to do, but if that is the case, why not also entertain a fisheye, or superwide zoom?</p>

<p>I'd also recommend you rent any of the lenses you are thinking of getting before buying anything. The 70-200mm is quite big and heavy. Before buying, I'd carry it around at a wedding to see whether you love it enough to carry it around somemore. The L primes can be slower focusing as well, particularly some of the f1.2 varieties, so be sure that is going to work for you. In other words, be sure before buying.</p>

<p>Hi Amanda,</p>

<p>I think highly of Canon's 70-200/2.8 IS, but not so much of the non IS version. If you are already used to primes only, why are you making this jump to Zoom land (not that its bad)?</p>

<p>I have spent many years refining my taste in FL's. One thing that I have settled on is that while I keep a 70-200 around, I use it precious little favoring the 85 (FF sensor)/1.4 (Nikon). I use 70-200 for portraits often enough though. But I am assuming it is your wedding work you refer to in this question.</p>

<p>On the wide end, I use (typically) the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC now (24-70 Equiv. FF sensor) as it works so well, has great IQ and VC. Now when Nikon give me a great 24/1.4, I will most likely give up the wide end zoom (at least for a while, if not permanently) as I prefer things that way.</p>

<p>So, from the stand point that you probably already have a wide end prime, I would be in favor of the 70-200 of the two you mentioned. In the Canon camp, I loved the 135/2. one of the best lenses for sharpness, AF and the sweetest bokeh of any lens I've ever used.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong><em>"you still have not answered the question of which lenses you have currently. that is a key question to answer your original question properly..."</em></strong><br>

<br>

Ditto . . . I agree . . . and I agree with the example about the 50mm lens <br>

<br>

But there is more . . . <br>

<br>

Taking into account <em><strong>"I have the 5d II, I have all primes right now... I have the 100mm 2.8 and a nice wide angle. . . Yes, I have a back up."</strong></em><br>

<br>

Then what's your back up camera?<br>

<br>

Because (as another example) if you "nice wide angle lens" is the EF35F/1.4; and your "Back Up Camera" is a 40D - <strong><em>buying any 50mm lens as a priority would be a bad business decision.</em></strong><br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p>I have a 5dII and my back up is a 5dII, so it makes it easy. I have the 50 1.8 but its not an expensive lens and I really want to offer the best equipment. I have the super wide 24 2.8 and the 100 2.8 which I really love. I would like to replace my 50 1.8 with the 50 1.2.I also have the inexpensive 2.8 28. I want to start replacing them with some quality. I think having just these lenses has forced me to get as creative as I can with what I already have. Now I see it gets a little crazy with changing cameras and I don't want to miss anything as far as coverage of an event. I take this all very seriously. As much as I think the zoom would help me I don't want to loose the quality and I also don't want to get into the habit of leaning on that lens too much because its "easier".... I hope that someone understands what I am saying...</p>

<p>I love my 70-200 2.8 and my 50mm 1.8 but if I were trying to decide it would definitely be the 70-200mm 2.8 mostly because it eliminates a lot of your leg work. You have the ability to zoom whereas the prime you have to move in and out and sometimes miss the shot - especially for candids. The only complaint I have about it is that sometimes it is too much zoom. But then again, I just pop on my 24-70 2.8 :) Best of luck in your decision!</p>

<p><em>"The 50 is a better lens but not as useful as the 70-200 for weddings." </em>This depends on how you shoot. For example, I rarely use a lens longer than an 85mm. So the zoom would be a bad investment for me. If the situation arises that I need something long, I can always rent or borrow. The 50mm Amanda-Lee is talking about lives on one of my bodies. I use it for about 50% (often much more) of the shots I take at a wedding. I like it so much that I tell my assistant to remind me to use another lens. My only caution- Don't get too excited about shooting wide open all the time with it, especially if you want more than one person's eyes in focus.</p>

<p>I like the comments about renting before you buy. Are you sure the money wouldn't be better spent on promotion & marketing? </p>

<p><em>"What other lenses do you have? What body do own?"</em></p>

<p>Reading comprehension there? How does a question help answer a question?</p>

<p><em>"...just starting to shoot weddings and I am interested in purchasing the canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L and the canon 50mm 1.2....which should I purchase first. Which would be more useful? </em>"<br>

<br />What is more useful is dictated by your style. I would steer a noob away from the 50 1.2 and towards the much more fun to use and versatile 24-70 2.8L. Canon pros all over the globe use that lens.</p>

<p>Here is a presentation from Canon's European pro site of a photographer using 5D2's and only prime lenses. Hit the small right fast forward button to go directly to the explanation of his kit (video 2), or just wait the minute and it will cycle there automatically.<br>

<a href="http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/masterclass/shooting_weddings.do">http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/masterclass/shooting_weddings.do</a></p>

<p>For the fisheye--the Canon 15mm. Really--it seems to me that you are just looking for something to buy that would be 'fun' to use and don't seem to have a specific reason other than that. There is nothing wrong with that--actually I would love to be able to do that--but some analysis as to which way you want to go next (based on your own vision, not someone else's) would make sense. Why ask other photographers? Lens choice is a highly personal thing and there will be no concensus, even to your question about which is more useful.</p>