Which one? T1i or 20D?

robert_thommes1

<p>I was considering a T1i until I was offered a MINT Canon 20D; having had very little use. The 20D is about 7 yrs older than the T1i. Should this be an important concern? The T1i has double the mpxls of the 20D. How important is that? If I had to make a choice between these two specific cameras, what would be your advice and why. Please....consider only these two and NO other options for now. Thanks.</p>

<p>More info. How much is the 20D being offered for? What are your plans? What do you want to photograph. The 20D is capable of taking very good shots with the right lenses and 8 megapixels really is enough for most things. Both cameras are good. But, how many shutter releases has the 20D had? For handling, I'd go with the 20D. The T1i feels too small for me. </p>

<p>[[The 20D is about 7 yrs older than the T1i. Should this be an important concern?]]<br /> Should this be a concern to you or to someone else? How could anyone answer for you?<br /> <br /></p>

<p>[How important is that?]]<br /> How important is it to whom? To you? How can anyone answer that for you?</p>

<p>[[if I had to make a choice between these two specific cameras, what would be your advice and why]]</p>

<p>Why are you posting this as question unless you have a choice?</p>

<p>Are you unable to determine the feature set on both cameras? A side-by-side comparison is readily available on dpreview.com. Are you unable to determine which features matter to you? If so, do you think someone else will be able to determine which features matter?</p>

<p>You must live in a magical place, Robert. First you're using an XS but were offered a T1i for a "decent price" So you purchased said T1i. And now you're considering a whole new T1i or a 20D again being offered for purchase. <br /> http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X3I4</p>

<p>The increased Mpix count isn't the only advantage the T1i has over the 20D. I haven't owned either camera but the T1i has a much bigger LCD, a newer processor, at least as good AF and probably better high-ISO performance. Not to mention video in the T1i, if that matters to you. Also, the 20D does not have spot metering. I think the only advantages that go to the 20D are frame rate and ergonomics/build. I would guess it's less expensive than a new T1i so if cost is a major factor that could be another reason to get the 20D.</p>

<p>You can do a side by side comparison of the specs here:<br>

<a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp</a></p>

<p>Make sure you click "Show all cameras" at the bottom of the list otherwise the 20D won't appear. Hope this helps. -Ed</p>

<p>re 20D: I turn off the chimp screen anyway, and it's big enough when you do use it to check composition and get the appropriate charts and graphs, so the 20D is not a problem for me. I still use mine in preference to a newer and larger screen, more Mp, etc., Rebel XTi.<br /> The problem with the "Rebel" series is that it has a different operating system, in effect, than do the xxD and up series. I really use the top LCD (not the rear one) a lot.</p>

<p>However, the 20D should be very, very much cheaper. It is an older generation in many ways, so if I couldn't get a 40 or 50D for a price below the T1i, I'd go for the latter. If the 20D <em>is</em> cheaper, then it's still a very capable camera. I love my old 5D, but still shoot the 20D in situations where I want a slightly lighter camera. On eBay, in the last few weeks, working 20D bodies have been going for between US$170 and 250, depending on condition, phase of the moon, and other eBay variables. ;) For those prices, I almost feel like getting another one myself, except maybe 4 Canon digital bodies is an excess.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You must live in a magical place, Robert. First you're using an XS but were offered a T1i for a "decent price" So you purchased said T1i. And now you're considering a whole new T1i or a 20D again being offered for purchase. <br /><a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X3I4">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X3I4</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>From looking at Robert's Community activities, . . . I think he's still researching just what to buy, and trying to get all the advice he can.</p>

<p>So Robert, . . . My two cents, . . . I personally would take any xxD over the T1i or Rebel models. Not that there's anything wrong with the Rebel's or their functionality & ability! Just simply because the xxD models fit my larger hands better because of their larger size and the bodies controls feel more natural to me!<br>

You need to go to a Camera shop or Retailer where you can actually handle some of the Camera's you think you are interested in purchasing.<br>

To me, the feel of the controls is very important because I learn to make many of the necessary "adjustments" in aperture, shutter speed, etc., etc., by feel and not by looking for the controls.</p>

<p>Whatever everybody mentioned about ergonomics are very true. I also personally like the XXD models way better than the Rebels, just because they way they feel in my hand. Having said that, I had the opportunity to use the XT1i from one of my closest friends who just bought it. Finally Canon started putting some rubber onto the Rebels. The back LCD is a huge improvement over 20D, its bigger and has much higher resolution; although the camera is still small, the feeling is better than the old Digital Rebels. But I think the biggest improvement is the processor. 20D uses a DIGIC II, whereas the XT1i uses a DIGIC IV. With the newer model you might see some difference in IQ at high ISO. Given a choice I would pick 40D over XT1i but with 20D I would go with the newer one. <br>

FYI : I personally owned a 30D for about 3 years and a 40 for last 3-4 months. </p>

<p>Thanks to all for the comments. Rob....You're reading WAY too much into my questions. I'm asking for YOUR opinions and YOUR thoughts. Not what you think of me and my questions. That said, I found Ed's comments the most benficial (especially between Rob's and Ed's). I know the stats for both cameras in question. But stats alone are not nearly as meaningful as REAL hands-on opinions. That's what I was hoping for here.<br>

The 20D was a real HOT camera in it's day. But it seems that even the "hottie" is not quite up to the task of the current Digital Rebel(or entry level)quality camera. I'll be sticking with the T1i.</p>

<p>Hi Nat,<br>

It's more like a comparison between a deluxe version of a full sized Chevy of 10 years ago and one of Chevy's good economical cars of today. The older car might ride better(as a larger camera can handle better), and the newer one might have a more updated/refined system of operations(better sensor, larger and clearer LCD, more FPS, higher usable ISO, etc). But I see your point.<br>

Let's leave the price out of this; as I'd rather base any decision on the quality only. I shoot grandkids sports(indoor and out), and nature/wildlife(macro to in-the-wild subjects). This constitutes about 80+% of everything I shoot. The other 20% is almost everything else commonly conceivable. </p>

<p>Rob,<br>

This is not the place, but...........would you like to explain "folly" as it allegedly applies to me in your judgement? <br>

I respect your comments when they are directed to the actual issues, but you snide remarks are not appropriate here. At least that's my opinion.<br>

No need to respond. Like I said...ths isn't the place.</p>

<p>If I was in the same situation I would probably go with the newer camera. Better LCD, newer processor, auto sensor cleaning and video are all big pluses in my book. I would assume that you will have better high ISO performance from T1i. I am not sure how AF systems of those 2 cameras compare between each other but I think they are very similar. Yes, Rebels are small and if that bothers you, you can always get a vertical grip.</p>

<p>Robert -- I get it... what you enjoy the MOST about photography is the gear choices and asking all of the "What ifs".</p>

<p>...The constant questions and multiple follow-ups to this lens or that lens or this body or that body...</p>

<p>Do this: Sell ALL OF YOUR current EOS gear and <strong>buy exactly one body + one lens </strong>and love taking pictures:</p>

<p>An <strong>EOS 7D with a 24-70 2.8L lens.</strong> You will not regret anything. There is a definite 'zen' in what Rob is hinting at to you. I am trying to simplify it all down to a basic top kit and leaving out all of your guess work and anxiety.</p>

<p>Ken and Rob B<br>

It seems ironic to me that you hang around in these forums but then express irriatation answering questions you perceive to be pointless.<br>

If you don't want to have your time wasted by questions you perceive to be dumb then don't hang around photonet. It couldn't be easier.<br>

I think it is perfectly reasonable to seek out others experiences with equipment. Comparing features on DP Review is one thing, but user experience can give a better feel for what features are actually useful as opposed to just appearing useful.<br>

Cheers<br>

Geoff</p>

<p>okay, so what about print size? For anything up to about 8x12, you probably won't notice a difference between the two cameras. However, the T1i will allow for more forgiving crops. The 20D is a little more solid and shoots at a little faster frame rate, but the T1i has many other features. It's really a toss up, you'll have to decide which features on each are more important to you.<br>

Here's a good side by side comparison.<br>

<a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp</a><br>

</p>

<p>Geoff I have a lot more experience here in EOS and also with online forums than the VAST majority -- I think CANDID advice is good. I am not nor ever will be PC about coddling feelings and stuff like that. Like Rob said -- check out his posting hostory -- it is ALL about this or that or that and this <em>ad infinitum</em>.</p>

<p>Reality check time from a paying member... -Ken. Tough love works. Life coaching to win and not to dawdle around I think...</p>

<p>Robert asked a valid question and got superb, worthwhile comments and opinions and advice. You don't like mine? Excellent! Am I wrong? ;)</p>

<p>Chip in with your top advice and I'll critique that.</p>

<p>I know you said price wasn't an issue, and I understand you're just trying to get a perspective based on quality only, but money is always in fact an issue, otherwise you'd be looking at 5D's and 1D's and Medium formats. So, being realistic, whether you want to or not, the 20D would have to be for the right price. You said, "an offer on a MINT 20D." This offer shouldn't be more than $300. I've even seen them as low as $200. At $300 or less a 20D is a great camera and bargain, but the beauty of them being so cheap is that it leaves you with more money in your pocket for lenses and accessories. So even if a buddy is offering a good deal, I wouldn't pay more than $300; if he/she wants more, I'd politely pass as its fairly easy to get ahold of nice 20D's at a minimum price. </p>

<p><em>Ken wrote: </em><br>

<em>"Do this: Sell ALL OF YOUR current EOS gear and <strong>buy exactly one body + one lens </strong>and love taking pictures:</em><br>

<em>An <strong>EOS 7D with a 24-70 2.8L lens</strong>." </em><br>

<em><br /></em><br>

5D or 7D? Which one?</p>