Which one is the most light-efficient umbrella?

vernon98034

There is a claim that Photoflex ADW Adjustable Reflex Umbrella is "the

most light-efficient umbrella in the world"(see

http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html?products/default.asp?product=octodomenxtkit&1

). Photogenic's Eclipse PLUS has a bonded silver lining and able "to

produce an extra stop of light" (in comparsion to the Eclipse model, I

believe) (see

http://www.photogenicpro.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=427&DEPARTMENT_ID=55

) I think the Eclipse Plus is a new product. Can anyone tell me which

one is the most light-efficient umbrella?

Isn't it more about where the flash head is placed? If the flash head has a modeling light,

make sure that the light does not bleed over the edge of the umbrella. Conversely, do not

place the flash head too close to the inside of the umbrella. Now the material on the inside

of the umbrella is another story. The silver lining will give the lighting more contrast while

the white lined will be both lower contrast and intensity. Myself, I prefer the white for my

work. I will add different gels for temperature control.

I don't know these brands but the more reflective the material the more efficient the light.

But efficiency isn't everything, in fact it's almost nothing because most people find that they have too much light and too little adjustment.

The more 'efficient' the light, the harder it will be, which is fine if you want a hard light, but if you want a soft light you would do far better with a shoot through umbrella.

Hope this helps

<p>Thanks Garry for your input.

<p>

<blockquote>

I don't know these brands but the more reflective the material the more efficient the light.

</blockquote>

Both products are from American firms.

<blockquote>

But efficiency isn't everything, in fact it's almost nothing because most people find that they have too much light and too little adjustment.

</blockquote>

<p>

I have used a Ecplise white umbrella for outdoor location photo shoots. I find that the light from the umbrella loses quick with the distance of umbrella placement. I have been using the same umbrella for indoor portrait shoots with a great success: very soft light. The distance between an umbrella and the subject is a big difference between indoor portrait and outdoor location shoots. For the outdoor, two meters usually is the closest distance I can get. So, I need a higher efficient white umbrella.

"The most light-efficient umbrella in the world" seems to be a bit of a bold claim without some sort of qualification. After all, whatever light you shine into an umbrella has got to come out again!

A silver umbrella appears to give a higher light output than a white umbrella because the reflected light bounces off at the same angle it hits the umbrella resulting in a more directional light, giving shadows a harder edge. A white umbrella on the other hand tends to 'scatter' the reflections more which results in a more diffused light. It is because the light is less 'focused' that a white umbrella seems to give a lower light output.

The only way you can make one white umbrella 'more' efficient than another is to increase its reflectiveness but doing so is going to affect how hard or soft the reflected light appears.

I do consider to acquire a sliver umbrella for the situation that illumination is more important than the softness quality of the lighting. My this question, however, is regarding of the two white umbrellas, but nothing else. I do understand the difference between a white and a silver umbrellas.

The white fabric of my Eclipse is sort of thin. In comparison to the white fabric of my Photoflex MultiDisc, it is not the best white material for reflection. According to my flash meter, a noticeable amount of light goes through the umbrella. The ADW seems to have a better material: thread count, woven, lamination, and coating. And the Eclipse Plus has another approach: a silver lining. Now, that question is which has the better result.