Which Nikon Lens to fit a EM?

ev

Hi,

I have yet another Question. I have a Nikon EM with a 50mm F2 AL

Manual Nikon Lens.

Iam looking to get some more lens. There are so many out there(on

EBAY) that I dont know which ones would fit!

Would a Vivitar 85-200mm lens fit???

Also could someone tell me what lens to go for, if any other brands

fit the em, and since Ive got a 50mm lens, what other lens should i

look for.

And just so Iam sure, the filtes to go for are the 52mm?

Thanking you

Evelyn

The EM will take AI, AIS, Series E, or Autofocus lenses,

except the new cheaper "Series G" lenses, since those don't

have an aperture ring. The only lenses to avoid are pre-AI

lenses (made before 1978) and Series G. Even pre-AI

lenses can be adapted to work (see <a href="http://www.aiconversions.com">aiconversions.com</a>.)

Vivitar has made

zooms that will fit, they've made zooms in the pre-AI

Nikon mount, and they've made zooms to fit other manufacturer's

cameras, so you haven't given enough information to tell

if that zoom will fit.

<p>

Filter size to go for depends on the lens. Most smaller lenses

made by Nikon, including your 50mm f2, will accept 52mm

filters. Other manufacturers may use different sized filters

on their lenses.

I agree with everything Richard said. Also, Nikon made a series of lenses specifically for the EM and it's later cousins, these are known as 'Series E' lenses. Among these, the 75-150 f/3.5 Series E is a standout. Very good optically, it's compact and lightweight; it will balance well on your EM. Takes the same 52mm filters as your 50mm. They are known for having 'zoom creep' (if you point it down, the zoom will slide down on its own), but it's a minor irritation. <a href="www.keh.com">www.keh.com</a> has them now for $59 and up (I buy 'bargain' grade from them all the time and I'm satisfied).

Ev, to expand a bit on Todd's suggestion... browse around at www.keh.com for good used Nikkor lenses before you buy a used third-party lens from someone you don't know.

Look for used AIS or Series E lenses in the focal lengths you want.

You can also find some lens tests and reviews online (start at www.nikonlinks.com) that may help you avoid the less-loved Nikkors and gravitate toward the highly regarded ones.

There's an AIS zoom and a Series E zoom from Nikon in essentially the same focal length range as the Vivitar you mentioned. Both are nice. Neither will be particularly expensive, used and in good condition.

KEH is not the cheapest place to buy used lenses, but you can shop there knowing that lots of photo.net folks have found them to be accurate in assessing the condition of goods, and trustworthy. If nothing else, a look at their site will help you understand the upper end of the price range for good used gear.

You can always use that info to your advantage when deciding how much to bid at an online auction, should you end up back on e*bay or some such site.

Have fun.

75-150 Series E, I love that lens. For $98 I got a near perfect lens, that is resonable fast, descent tele, and sharp as a tack. The zoom creep is only a worry for those who want to be able to put their cameras down and still be ready to shoot on a moments notice.

I have used that lens to shoot several pictures which are currently on airliners.net, and they are exetremly picky on what they accept. If you wish to see them search for my name, all the ones at Seminole Lake are with my N2020 with the 75-150 series E on Provia 100F.

If you are speaking about Vivitar 85-205 f3.8, 62mm filter: forget it. Low contrast and sharpness too far from your excellent 50mm f2. If you want a good telezoom, look for a 75-150 series E or for a 80-200 f4.5, both are very good and have 52mm filter. If you don't mind with using a prime instead of a zoom, all AI Nikkors 100s, 105s, 135s and 200s are excellent even wide open and match your filter size. I'd suggest to go for a 135 which makes a nice and compact couple along with your 50.

Thanks everyone for your info.

Iam starting(slowly) to get the grips of it all.

I was looking on ebay australia, cause I was a bit worried about buying things from overseas, and the dollar ratio.

Ill check out that web site though.

Cheers Ev in oz