Which Nikon DSLR would you recommend for me?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by rexmarriott, May 16, 2018.

1. My 24 Mp D7100 DX does not have the AA filter, and I have yet to see any problematic moire. Perhaps it's due to the pixel density on the sensor, similar to that on a much larger 36 Mp FX sensor?

2. A 24mp DX sensor is most dense sensor Nikon makes these days. The new D850 is about the same as a 20mp DX camera(I think it's 19.6mp in DX crop mode).

I think the D800/800E/810 are somewhere close to 16mp in DX crop mode.

3. Yes, Ben. The D800 and D810 are roughly the D7000 16MP sensor, with a load of extra pixels around the edge to take it to 36MP. The D850 is roughly the D500 20MP sensor with a load of extra pixels taking it to 45MP. For me, that's enough to stop having slight reach envy over the DX 24MP sensors - but if I solely shot birds I might be better served by a D7200. The only way to get more density behind a lens within the Nikon system (without adapting something third party) is to put a 1-system body behind an F-mount adaptor. That's a very large crop and quite a compromise in how the camera works, though. And this is what teleconverters are for!

4. For dedicated action sports and wildlife I'd be tempted to just go straight to the D500 with its 20MP sensor. However, for general use including action sports and wildlife, I heartily agree on the D7200, if DX is the plan. (Anybody have a D810 they want to sell cheap?:rolleyes:)

5. For the OP:

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up, but I really think the D800 would be a good choice for you :) . In any case, I thought it might help you to see what you'd gain.

I dusted off my D1X and stuck it on a tripod with the 105mm Micro on it. I picked that lens because it's the only lens that you and I share in your mentioned kit.

In any case, here's the D1X photo and a full-res crop. This was shot as a RAW file and processed in LR 6.13. The WB was way off, so I let LR do AWB on it. It was also shot at ISO 124 with -.3 EC as the chairs looked blown out on the LCD(it was actually a lot better in the file).

d1x full (1 of 1).jpg d1x crop (1 of 1).jpg

Here's a D800 image of the same scene, and a full-res crop of the same area. I intentionally did not move the camera to show the difference in FOV. This, again, was shot as a RAW file and processed in LR. The white balance was left as shot. It was at ISO 100, and I actually did pull the highlights(specifically the chairs) back a bit since I didn't realize that I'd blown them. This is a good example of one of the strengths of a relatively modern sensor.

_DSC2538-1-2.jpg d800 crop (1 of 1).jpg

6. Hell no - I'll take the D500 over the D7200 for the better AF alone any day.

Did anyone suggest the D800E to the OP?

7. Personally, I like my Winchester Model '97 or Browning Auto 5, both in 16 gauge, for shooting birds. Both are on a "real" 16 gauge frame and are nice and "lively" with wonderful balance.

Oops, sorry, wrong forum.

8. I, too, shoot more than cameras. For birds (mostly clays) I like my Italian O/U, but that's for another day...:p

9. Yes, repeatedly. The OP notes the D800 as a prime candidate in post #49. My only concern is if he can get a good copy within his budget.

syed_asad_ali_zaidi likes this.
  10. steve_g|2

steve_g|2 Posting to strangers is just a hobby of mine.

I went through similar analysis, not as deep, and happily wound up with a D750 bought used (with a brand new shutter).
    It has a low pass filter, but it is a weak one.

Great pictures, even with my DX lenses in DX mode.

11. I haven't been bird hunting in ages, and I've never really been a clay shooter. Of course, out on a friends farm you can use anything you want for clays, but none of the disciplines have a 16 gauge class. Commercial 16 gauge shells are all hunting loads-in my typical fashion I bought a shell press but haven't even made a dent my first bag of 250 wads. Fortunately, a shot shell press wasn't a huge deal since I do a lot of metallic cartridge loading so I have powder out the rear end.

DavidTriplett likes this.
  12. Point noted. I have two: the 50mm f1.4 Ai-S and the 105mm f2.5 Ai-S.

13. I'm not yet sold on the D800. I'm also considering the D610.

14. I considered the D800E and thought it hard to justify the extra cost in my particular circumstances.

16. Uh, sorry. Messed up there. Put my words in your mouth, Ben.

Interesting to see your pictures. apart from the larger field of view, I'm seeing the D1X shots as more murky in tone and not as crisp as those taken with the D800.

17. I've just picked up on this comment, Andrew, re the D750 and D610, and memory cards. not something I'd considered to this point.

18. Make a change with D3, reasonably priced. But be aware of FX lens expense you’ll have to pay accordingly.

19. PM me your email and I'm happy to share both .nefs with you if you want to play with them.

Post processing can, of course, make a difference in terms of how the colors are rendered, but it's a LOT easier to pull vibrant colors out of the D800 sensor than the D1-series sensors.

20. The OP doesn't list any DX lenses, or at least seems to have a lot of "staple" FX lenses, so I'd say that's a non-issue.

I don't own a D3, but have been close a few times. Honestly, I've decided that the extra expense of the D3s is well worth it(and one of the few cases where the "s" version of a camera makes a real improvement in image quality as opposed to controls/handling). The D3s sensor high ISO performance is at least a stop better than the D3 from everything I've seen, and is really not that far behind the Df(Per DXOMark, the Df is the best low light Nikon DSLR, and the D3s is pretty darn close).