Which national park in the US is most photogenic?

rolpahof leikonblad

The answer depends in large part on what YOU think is photogenic! If you like water scenes, look at the ones with water; if it's mountains, make your choice on that basis, etc. As for the best time to go there, the answer is usually when you can manage to go! If you find snow the best thing in the world, I would recommend going in the winter. If you like it hot, go in the summer.

I'm not really being difficult -- your question truly has either no answer or many many answers. Each of us would likely give you a different one...

Of course "photogenic" is very subjective... let's try nevertheless:

If by "most photogenic" you mean "where it is the most

easy to get a nice picture", I'd vote for

<a href = "http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.bryce-canyon.html">

Bryce Canyon</a> in winter.

<a href = "http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.yosemite.html">

Yosemite</a>, among others has considerably more subject matter,

but it took many, many visits before I made satisfying images

there, whereas a 24h visit to Bryce was all it took. Note that this

is from someone who visited each of the 57 Parks.

I'm partial to Rocky Mountain National Park, because I used to live near it. Not that it's actually more scenic than, say, Yellowstone, but it seems to get much less publicity.

Best time- depends on what you want. Autumn may get you trees changing, winter gets you snow in a lot of the parks, summer brings flowers. What do you want?

You might also ask, which ones are the most crowded and most over-published? It helps if you like LONG hikes! : )

Mt. Lassen. Very hard to visit in winter.

OK. It really is a matter of personal taste. After all, part of the reasoning behind selecting many of the Parks was the natural beauty. Then there are many spots which aren't National Parks yet are world renowned for their beauty. Point Lobos State Reserve for example.

Sure it's a matter of personal opinion and taste, but I find most other people's opinions and taste suck, so I have to go with my own. :) Last year I hit 9 western national parks in one 10,000 mile drive (starting and ending in Anchorage). I only spent a few hours in Yosemite, but it's got my vote. I couldn't take a bad picture there.

Tough to answer. Been only once so far; but the Smokey Mountains gets a thumps up, as well as Death Valley (probably no the best during the summer - always wondered why parents insisted on taking the kids there during teh summer).

Many of the mountain parks are four season parks although access may be restricted or difficult due to snowpacks. Spring/fall offer colors, more water, etc. And summer seasons at many parks are excessively crowded as it is vacation time. The desert parks, like Death Valley and Joshua Tree can be unpleasant if not downright dangerous for the unprepared in the summer yet while we southern Californians might think "cold," they are relatively mild compared to many other parts of the country.

What is perhaps special about many of the Parks is the scale of the scenery. If you are interested in smaller things, individual streams, rocks, riffles, trees and flowers, you don't need the big parks. But you don't get something like the view across Jackson or Jenny Lakes to the Tetons, or from Wawona Tunnel View except at one place in the nation, perhaps world. Not that there may may not be less well known similar sites but there aren't many.

Haven't been to all of them, but I'll say: Arches, by a hair, then Yosemite, Glacier, Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, Zion, Great Smokies (and I'm from North Carolina)

I love that red rock, and those fantastic formations in Utah, am awed by the granite in Yosemite, and the ridges in Glacier and Tetons, and the geothermals in Yellowstone are otherworldly.

When is easier: NOT IN SUMMER

I agree with the above statements. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

However, in the US I really love Big Bend and March is likely the best time to be there (flowers blooming and it's not yet TOO hot).

However Jasper (Canada) gets my nod for North America's most stunning park.

This is like asking, "Which woman (or man) in the world looks the sexiest, and why?"

Most National Parks could occupy you from a photographic standpoint for an entire

lifetime. A single spot in one of the parks will look different depending upon time of

day, time of year, and quality of light.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Let's not forget to mention The Everglades. Personally, I'd recommend spring or fall. I live here, so I can attest to the summer heat/humidity. The winter isn't bad, but spring and fall are when the animals are most active. The bird watchers go nuts over it. There is also plenty of other wildlife and scenery to shoot, as well as peace and quiet to enjoy away from the rat race.<div>005lI6-14078884.thumb.JPG.01af7c87e700ed77996a30eeeb93d80f.JPG</div>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The most photogenic Nat. Park? The one you are in at the time! Seriously, I agree with the above... it depends on what you like to shoot and your personal preferences.

My suggestion: look at what kind of photography you do best at, then find the National Parks that best suit your needs.

I live in Yosemite - yes, in the Valley. ( I live & work here - and take photos - year round). I think Yosemite is one of the BEST and most photogenic of the parks... however, many people don't see the side of Yosemite that I do. I tend to go off the beaten path and follow deer trails, old seldom used trails, and explore the tallus slopes. The photos I find are incredible. I even have an idea of a location to shoot from that should be even BETTER than the famous tunnel view... but I haven't made it there yet (hint: it involves getting away from the road and near the rim).

If you will be visiting Yosemite, please feel free to contact me.

David L. Smith wildography@yahoo.com