Which monitor for a Macbook pro?

<p>I know this has been asked before but not lately.</p>

<p>Can anyone please suggest a good monitor for a photographer using a MacBook Pro? (2 GHz Intel Core i7). I'd like to keep it to under £1k if possible.<br>

How do the Apple monitors stand up price and quality-wise?<br>

Would I be better paying a little extra and getting a desktop Mac with monitor included?</p>

<p>Many thanks.</p>

<p>I'm running a NEC PA271 off my MacBook, no issues. Unhook that and take the MPB on the road. In terms of a budget, I can't help you but the MPB screen is not ideal for high quality image work even if you calibrate it, hence, don't skimp on the external if WYSIWYG is even remotely important! </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Make sure you budget for a calibration tool along with the external monitor. It would be a bit of a waste to go to all that trouble and then not have a color managed workflow. I too have a NEC PA271W and the dedicated SpectraSensor Pro device with Spectraview software and it's superb, if a bit costly. It calibrates easily and quickly, There are other solutions out there as well.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The NECs seem to be the way to go. Are Apple monitors not comparable?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not even close, assuming again, a very close display to print match (many differing print processes) is key. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>That's what I've been reading. Smart but no good for photo editing.<br>

I have a possible shortlist of 4 in ascending price order. Any thoughts? Bearing in mind I don't need the very best and that I've thus far managed with my laptop monitor (to my shame).<br>

LG 29EA93 29" Full HD LED<br>

Dell U2711<br>

LG 27EA83<br>

Samsung SyncMaster S27B970D</p>

<p>If highest quality (and money) is an option, an Eizo. Money is the limitation in my case. Ordinary monitors can usually be calibrated and their limitations overcome to some degree. From personal experience, the 24inch Apple iMac dedicated monitor has pretty good off axis viewing consistency and color quality, but is too bright and has an annoying reflective surface. Perhaps the stand alone Apple monitor is similar, but my computer is about 4 years old and maybe the separate Apple monitors have been improved a little.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure that there's any objective evidence to prove that the Eizo's are better than a similar NEC, but there is evidence to prove they are more expensive. Lovely monitors but overpriced compared to NEC.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree. I've not seen any compelling reason to spend the extra money for such a unit. </p>

<p>Eric, Andrew, you may well be right. My info is sparse (Photoshop course prof at a junior college here, and reading of a monitor survey and comparative tests in a French photography magazine a few years back, but I cannot remember which NEC monitor was tested and how it compared).</p>

<p>Which NEC monitor gets good marks? Probably like Apple monitors, there would be variation between models. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Which NEC monitor gets good marks?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Any of the SpectraView line but that's intended for 'the high end' or rather, those who expect an integrated system for calibration. </p>

<p>I have an NEC P221W and with calibrator and it worked fine with my 2009 13-inch MacBook Pro. I have since upgraded to a 2012 Mac Mini and the monitor still works fine. This monitor may no longer be available, but the NEC P241W looks like a good choice in your price range. Get a Spyder4Pro calibrator and you're good to go.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Seriously, I would not buy an 'LG' anything, after being burnt so many times with crappy LG products I certainly would not be trusting my Photo image editing to such a low end poorly made piece of junk. It's not "life's good" its "Low Grade"! Go the NEC's PA271w or PA241w...or a Dell like the U2711. You'll never look back with any of these.<br>

Andrew Barre Photography (SA)</p>

<p>Thanks, I still haven't got around to buying one yet. Leaning towards the U2711 for value. The PA271W clearly has the edge on quality but is over twice the price. Both are a few years old however, has there been no great leaps in monitor technology since 2010?</p>

• 3 weeks later...