which modifiers

jason_goodlad

<p>I am intending to buy a set of elinchrom lights but would like opinions on which modifiers to buy to shoot family portraits on a large backdrop from 10ft -20ft wide .<br>

Elinchrom do a range of octoboxes from 100m -175mm.<br>

Has anyone had success freezing motion with the style rx 300s also.<br>

any advice appreciated</p>

<p>My advice: learn lighting so that you know what you need for the look you want to create. The reason Elinchrom has so many light modifiers is that each one gives you a different quality of light. We can't possibly know how you want to light family portraits. That said, the larger the relative light source in relationship to the subject, the softer the light. So if you are looking for soft light, you need the largest modifier you can get your hands on (which means more power from the strobe) and for large families, possibly more than one!<em><br /></em></p>

<p>To answer your first question, family shots are most flattering when a large soft box is used and I recommend the octa shape at least 5ft in size. As far as flat light that depends how you position them. If you place them equal distance side by side and straight on to the subject you have flat light. If they are close it will be soft flat light. If you want a hard flat light keep them farther back or use a small umbrella or just the reflector direct light. I would not recommend the hard light senario.</p>

<p>The elinchrom 7' octa produces wonderful soft light. Opens like an umbrella so a breeze to take on location. Versatile. Downside, $1,000. I never leave home with my 7' photoflex. The 5 footer isnt as difficult for one person. An inexpensive and portable solution is the 6 or 7 foot Paul C Buff (Alien Bees/Einsteins) parabolics. Under $100, is an umbrella so sets up in seconds and the silver defocused and covered with the diffuser panel is soft but efficient. For really soft, I would consider the the white version as bounce with the diffuser panel. Discussed it with Joe at PCB this morning. Their service is amazing in these days of struggling with service outsourced to other countries. You get a human being who knows the product and takes the time to help. I am 2 for 2 with that kind of service with them. </p>