Which model Rollei 3.5F?

Troll

<p>I've owned two 3.5F Rolleis, lost one to burglar and one to former girl friend.<br>

It's been several years, and I've decided to get another one (Lordie, they've gotten expensive!). I believe that I've heard that the very last models had an improved lens (6 elements instead of 5?). How would I know what model this is?<br>

Thanks,</p>

<p>As I understand it they added the extra element right at the very beginning of the 3.5F series. First in the Planar and then in the xenotar. Also as I understand it the extra element does not really improve the lens, only make it a little cheaper and easier to manufacture.<br>

Dennis</p>

<p>Six-element lenses appeared on Rolleiflex 3.5F models from late 1960 starting at serial number 2,250,000. (This model had factory designation K.4F.) There were two lens options - Zeiss Planar or Schneider Xenotar. The Planar is more common, and when new, the Planar option was the more expensive one (whether that was to do with quality or simply supply and demand I don't know). From 1960 to 1964, both lens options were offered. From 1964 (starting approximately at serial number 2,282,000) to 1973 only the Planar was available, and from 1973 onwards (starting approximately at serial number 2,851,000) only the Xenotar was available. There were other minor model variations during the 3.5F production run.</p>

<p>My information is from the excellent 'The Classic Rollei' by John Phillips.<br>

<a href="http://www.ammonitepress.com/TheClassicRollei.html">

http://www.ammonitepress.com/TheClassicRollei.html</a></p>

Rolleiflex 3.5F Type 1 (factory designation K.4D) and Type 2 (factory designation K.4E) models have a five-element lens.<br>

The addition of the sixth element was supposed to "improve both definition and contrast, particularly in marginal areas of the field", according to my source.

<p>Colin, your information doesn't seem to be the same as the Rolleiclub have in their <a href="http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/info/all_TLR.shtml">Rollei TLR overview</a>.</p>

<p>After a quick look it seems like these were the modells with the 6 element taking lens:</p>

<p><strong>Rolleiflex 2,8 E3 - Model K4G<br /> </strong>July 1961 - January 1965, 5,035 pieces<strong>, </strong>with 6 element taking lenses.<strong><br /> Serials</strong>: E3-2.380.000 - E2-2.385.034, engraved above Rolleiflex label.<br /> <br /> <strong>Both models - Taking Lens</strong>:<br /> Planar 3,5/75mm, Carl Zeiss Oberkochen, (for eastern Europe OPTON PI 3.5/75)<br /> Xenotar 3,5/75mm, Schneider<br /> both Bayonet 2<br>

<br /> (No. 41)<br /> <br /> <strong>Rolleiflex 3.5 F Model 3 & 3-I - Model K4F.</strong> It doesn't say anything about a 6 element taking lens for those modells.<br /> <br /> (No. 34)</p>

<p>Hi Ann,</p><p>You mention the 2.8E3 - Bill was asking just about 3.5F models with six-element lenses, so I was referring only to the 3.5F.</p><p>As for the Rolleiclub not having any details of six-element lenses on the K.4F model, I can't speak for that, but the details they show don't look fully reliable. They make no mention of Planar lenses on K.4F models, instead they talk of Tessar lenses which were not offered on the K.4F, and they also say the model can't be used with the Rolleimarin underwater housing which I believe is not the case (i.e. the K.4F model <em>could</em> be used with the Rolleimarin).</p>

From reading the book I have, I got the impression it was meticulously researched by an obvious expert. Anyone looking for a guide to Rolleiflex TLRs, I recommend checking it out. I feel it lives up to its name - 'The Classic Rollei: A Definitive Guide'.

<p>Here is what the Rolleiclub says in their introduction:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The <strong>RolleiClub</strong> presents you here, with some pride, the most comprehensive overview of those cameras that once were and still are available. Extracted from old <strong>Franke & Heidecke</strong>, <strong>Rollei</strong> and later <strong>Rollei Optische Werke</strong> archives we compilated an unsurpassed database. In it you can find each serial number, the production period and complete technical details of every Rollei TLR ever produced.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That doesn't necessarily mean that the data's are 100% correct, though.</p>

<p>Take a look at these. These are scans of original Franke & Heidecke sales material:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.cameramanuals.org/rolleiflex/rolleiflex_3-5_2-8_f_booklet.pdf">

http://www.cameramanuals.org/rolleiflex/rolleiflex_3-5_2-8_f_booklet.pdf</a><br>

I'm not sure what year this is from, but it says, "Choice of Carl Zeiss Planar or Schneider Xenotar units. 75mm f/3.5 taking lens of 6 or 5 elements."</p>

<p><a href="http://photography-matters.blogspot.com/2008/12/rolleiflexrolleicord.html">

http://photography-matters.blogspot.com/2008/12/rolleiflexrolleicord.html</a><br>

Again, I'm not sure what year this is from, but this one says, "Carl Zeiss Planar. 75mm f/3.5 taking lens of 6 elements."</p>

I should add, the book I have says that five-element lenses were replaced by six-element lenses on the 3.5F starting from serial 2,250,000, but that "some cameras from early in the production run [of the K.4F type] may have the five-element Xenotar". This kind of matches up with the first link I just posted that seems to suggest that five- and six-element lenses were offered simultaneously.

<p>The first brochure is from an early 3.5F. You can tell because they are offering the optical flat glass back which was stopped later. As I read that brochure it says Planar or Xenotar, 5 or 6 element. I take that to mean that the Planar had 6 and the Xenotar had 5 which matches the information from my source which says that the early 3.5F Planar had 6 elements while the xenotar yet had 5, which was changed to 6 later.<br /> The second brochure is from a later version. You can tell because there is no mention of the optical glass back and the T has already changed from grey to black leather.<br /> Dennis</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Here's more info from my book. I'm not claiming it's infallible, but it's certainly an excellent guide. As I said before, if you're researching Rolleiflex TLRs, I recommend checking it out.</p><p>Rolleiflex 3.5F:</p><p>Type 1 (factory designation K.4D)<br>

Produced from December 1958 to February 1960<br>

Serial number range: 2,200,000 - 2,219,999<br>

Features EV-coupled exposure control such that rotation of one of the exposure control wheels alters shutter speed and aperture in tandem so as to retain the EV setting.</p><p>Type 2 (factory designation K.4E)<br>

Produced from February 1960 to November 1960<br>

Serial number range: 2,230,000 - 2,241,500 (approx)<br>

Type 2 removed EV coupling (so that the two exposure control wheels respectively alter shutter speed and aperture independently), and introduced the film plane glass to ensure film flatness (which required a modified camera back with a prominent external bulge which was available by special order).</p><p>Type 3 (factory designation K.4F)<br>

Produced from November 1960 to December 1976<br>

Serial number range: 2,250,000 - 2,299,999 and 2,800,000 - 2,970,149 (?)<br>

The ability to accept 220 film was introduced in 1965 (from serial number 2,299,547). These models are sometimes called Type 4.<br>

The film plane glass feature was removed in 1966 (from serial number 2,815,000).<br>

The altered "white face" faceplate was introduced around 1970/1971 (from approx serial number 2,845,000).</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I have a later version 3.5f with the Planar lens. According to the repair man it has a 6 element lens. The other thing he told me was that the meter is difficult if not impossible to repair. So I would make sure that it is a later Planar version with a working meter. I have found that the meter works very well and is accurate once you learn how to use it.</p>

• 4 years later...

Could anyone tell me what the Minimum Focus Distance on a Rolleiflex 3.5F (Final version - 'whiteface') is?

I've picked one up - the unmetered focus knob goes to 0.9m (3 feet) but only turns to just below 1 metre.

Want to be sure that's not some unseen problem, since at some point in its life its had a bump on the (focus) side panel.

It's surprisingly hard to find the MFD of any Rolleiflex, haven't been able to locate anything published at all... Thanks.

Thanks, that’s about the same as this one.

I did stumble on another forum thread that mentioned this specific issue. It seemed that a lot of 3.5F don’t quite reach the 0.9m mark on the focus knob and it’s a bit of a non issue unless you really need that 0.9m.

I’ll just live with the 6-7cm increased focus distance I think. It doesn’t bother me enough to return an otherwise great looking camera.

Thanks for the manual link as well, the one I have is 2.8F/3.5F and didn’t have this information.