Which Metering Mode for wedding?

warwick_hall

Hi guys ,

on reading the post about which shooting mode you all use, I was wondering what

metering mode everyone uses, and why? spot/partial etc?

Does the Black suit and the white dress play havoc in various metering settings?

Do you change it in different situations, or do you leave it set all day?

I use a Canon 5d.

Thankyou all,

warwick.

Handheld incident meter plus brain. Black suit and white dress do not affect either one. I am used to using it and it is fast and accurate. When using an automatic mode on the camera, I use averaging metering rather than matrix. I find it more predictable. I don't change metering methods throughout the day. I also use a 5D.

I use 1D2's and 1d3.

Always shoot manual and use Bogen Spot 1 degree for each new lighting set - although used incident meter like Nadine prior. It took years for me to have a good feeling about shooting entirely manual, but (for me) it provides the most consistent results which are essential for batch post processing. Also, I want total creative exposure control.

I use Canon's Evaluative metering on a 20D & 40D, but I shoot in manual, and take a test shot. Then I look at the histogram and adjust as necessary. I usually don't change the exposure settings unless the location or scene changes, so sometimes the whole ceremony will be at one exposure setting. Lots of exceptions though, especially if there are windows along one side.

If manual is going to be too much trouble, I usually switch to Av, but I have ALSO been known to use P mode. -- Gasp!

I believe the histogram is the best meter type made, and I no longer have any use for spot metering, but this is all just personal opinions based on what works for me. You need to nail down a method that works for you. There are lots of ways to slice this pie.

I use brain, click, check histogram, adjust, click again. it is far more important for you to know what your meter is telling you - eg. a white dress should go +1.5 to +2. a black tux should be -1.5 to -2. shooting either at 0, no matter what mode, is not going to be fun.

adjusting the metering mode is way too painful to think about. I usually do evaluative since it generally give a pretty good reading for the most part. back when I was shooting film and the meter was very center weighted, I would meter a surface I knew was 18% grey and go from there.

it's the brain that matters.

My cameras are set to manual exposure mode and spot metering. I either guestimate the exposure or use the in camera spot meter or use an external incident light meter, all depending on the situation. Then a test shot and review of the histogram.

Peter