Which lenses did you use with your 35mm film cameras?

<p>Since there are a lot of you guys out there that <em>are using</em> or <em>has been using</em> 35mm film cameras, I was hoping that you would like to share which camera and lenses you prefer. And which focal length is your preferred focal length, i.e. the prime you use(d) the most?</p>

<p>The intention of the thread is to learn as much as possible about 35mm camera and lenses, and have it as a guidance for future gear shopping :-)</p>

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>As a sort of serious, casual shooter of landscapes and outdoor sports like climbing and backpacking, I carried around a Canon AE-1 with three lenses--a 28mm, a 50mm and a 135mm. Worked for me at the time. But, as I say, I wasn't nearly as "into" the photography thing as I am now.</p>

<p>Way back last century when I used film cameras, the "standard" lenses were the 28, 50 and 135. I had them all at one time, but what lenses one used (or used) depends upon what kind of photography one did. I accumulated other lenses, including 17, 24, 300, 70-210, 100-200, and probably others I forget. </p>

<p>After I went to Nikon mount, a long time ago, I used my Nikon 55mm f/1.2 to squeeze photons, a PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 for architecture, a 20mm f/4 for wide angles. When I needed longer, I used a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm (the original, not the current name-only version). I also had a 50mm f/2 available for places where photons were not an endangered species.<br>

What got used depended on what I was doing. Obviously, I used telephoto on safari. When I was traveling, I liked to do night photography. </p>

<p>Why restrict the discussion to primes? In film days many people used zooms for the convenience, particularly when shooting slides when you needed to get the framing right in the camera. I often used the Minolta 35-70 f3.5 on manual focus, and the 28-135 f3.5-4.5 on AF. Both give excellent image quality.</p>

<p>The lens that I purchased when I was shooting film with a Nikon F3HP camera were these:<br>

1. Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S<br>

2. Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-S<br>

3. Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AI-S<br>

<br />I used these lens for years until I purchased my first Nikon auto-focus 35mm camera (a Nikon N90s). After I bought the N90s I subsequently bought a Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D, Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D and a Micro-Nikkor 70-180mm f/4.5-5.6D ED lens.</p>

<p>One of my favorite lens was the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S. This is a superb optic.</p>

The 28/3.5 was a revelation early on

and has skewed my view of things ever

since. I keep a 28 always. The 20/3.5

was a favorite in my newspaper days. I

was in almost constant conflict with

one editor over it. The 55/1.2 and 135/

2.8 went everywhere. My favorite

zooms are the old 85-250 which I have

and 80-200/2.8 which I don't. The 300/

4.5 is still there and a 500/8 cat went

to many ball games. These lenses were

mostly used on F2's and F4's, the

greatest cameras ever made.

Rick H.

<blockquote>

<p>What are you shooting with the 105mm f2.5, Steve?</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br />Nothing in particular. I have always had the standard set of 28mm, 50mm and 135mm. Sometimes I like to go out with just one lens. If I have the 50mm it seems to wide and the 135mm seems too long but the 105mm seems just right.<br /><br />I have only had this lens for a few months and haven't used it much but I think I will get a lot of use from it</p>

<p>I've been most into two systems: Minolta manual focus and Nikon autofocus. In Minolta, the 58mm f/1.4 is probably what I've used most, followed by the Vivitar Series 1 28-90 and Minolta late MD 50/1.7. In Nikon, the 50/1.8 D and later G, the Tamron 28-75 (which has put in a lot of miles on my F100 and on digital) and more recently Tamron 70-300 VC. That lens has let me do stuff that just shouldn't work, like shooting landscapes on Reala 100 in overcast conditions at f/11 and 300mm then scanning at 5400 PPI and getting a sharp image.</p>

<p>I've been most into two systems: Minolta manual focus and Nikon autofocus. In Minolta, the 58mm f/1.4 is probably what I've used most, followed by the Vivitar Series 1 28-90 and Minolta late MD 50/1.7. In Nikon, the 50/1.8 D and later G, the Tamron 28-75 (which has put in a lot of miles on my F100 and on digital) and more recently Tamron 70-300 VC. That lens has let me do stuff that just shouldn't work, like shooting landscapes on Reala 100 in overcast conditions at f/11 and 300mm then scanning at 5400 PPI and getting a sharp image.</p>

<p>For the better part of 43 years, I used mostly a 35mm lens on my Leica RF, but leaned toward a 50-100mm on my SLR cameras. In the Canon FD world, I really liked the 28mm/f2.0, and to 50/3.5 macro. The Leica SLRs had a great 35mm Elmarit. I have a bunch of fixed lens RFs, most have about 43-45mm lenses. Exakta had a really enjoyable 20mm Flektagon. The Olympus OM series has lots of good choices, but as I critically look at results (pixel peeping) I'm seeing more CA than I ever noticed before.As far as the Nikons, I've been all over the place, in primes the 28/2.8 Ai is a favorite along with the 50/1.8 Series E. In the (film) Nikon zoom department, I used the first version of the 24-120 for several years...although not a top notch performer, it was a really handy lens to have with me. I recently got a Pentax Spotmatic(been lusting since the 1960s) with a 50/1.4 Super-Takumar which I'm still learning to get the best results from. I need to pare down the cameras I've accumulated...but what a lot of fun having choices based on my mood.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I need to pare down the cameras I've accumulated</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br />I keep telling myself that too.</p>

<p>Inheriting my father's collection effectively doubled the size of mine so that didn't help. It did give me access to a couple of Nikon Fs and some lenses of a similar period and four Mamiya TLRs with a good range of lenses so I have started to sell and give away some of the lesser examples from my own collection - especially where I now have duplicates.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have a bunch of fixed lens RFs, most have about 43-45mm lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is a focal length you don't see much of today, if any. I wonder why they chose those focal lengths.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The Olympus OM series has lots of good choices</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would like to learn more about those lenses, too.</p>