Which lenses benefit from K3 II's pixelshifting tech?

Jochen_S

<p>I stumbled across this announcement http://www.dpreview.com/products/pentax/slrs/pentax_k3ii and am wondering which lenses might resolve enough, at which f-stop? What would be promising to have with that camera or what worked great on the current K3? - I've been in Pentax hiatus since the K20D and feel open for shopping inspiration. - The improved SR sounds almost tempting enough on its own.</p>

<p>No pun intended but I bet you that 99.5% of the people on this forum never even heard of pixel-shifting. I had to look it up myself the other day when I saw that thread. Maybe people in the Video industry might be more familiar, but this is a first for a Pentax DSLR. Maybe on the Olympus section someone might be able to answer that question since Olympus has used this feature for some time now ?</p>

<p>No first-hand experience of course, but I'd think there'd be a benefit when using any lens -- should yield truer colors and fewer artifacts by recording all three color channels for each pixel rather than traditional bayer interpolation. It's probably true that artifact (such as moire) reduction would be more significant when images are at their sharpest with the better lenses at their best apertures.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've been in Pentax hiatus since the K20D</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My goodness that certainly bespeaks a surfeit of willpower! ;~) I loved my K20D but the K-5IIs & K-3 are major advancements. I'm skeptical about pixel-shifting myself since it seem it seems to require a totally static subject and totally static camera--fine for some applications, certainly but not my cuppa. </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I think this camera is designed for static setup photography in mind, such as landscape, etc. using this new technology. The lack of a built-in flash lends to that concept also. Ironic that Pentax, who introduced the built-in flash for SLR design back in the mid 1980's now abandons it, but for this intended specialty it makes sense. The top Canon and Nikon models also are without, even without this new advancement, with the idea that photographers using such models will be doing so under professionally setup circumstances.</p>

<p> Although I have several Pentax and a Metz flash units, I do often make use of the built-in flash on the spur of the moment. Many good shots would not have been done without it. The K-3II is not for me.</p>