Which lense would you choose?

john_decker1

<p>Going to get one of these lenses to shoot some indoor sports - bkb mainly... as of now I have an 85 1.8, 80-200 2.8<br>

Which one & why?<br>

Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8 EX DF Lens for Nikon AF<br>

Tamron 28-75 mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical IF f/Nikon-D AF<br>

Would love the Nikon 24-70 but can't do the $$<br>

Thanks in advance for recommendations</p>

<p><em><strong>"shoot some indoor sports - bkb mainly... as of now I have an 85 1.8, 80-200 2.8"</strong></em><br>

<br>

What, specifically, can't you do with what you now have?<br>

<br>

Each new lens you cite, gives you a wider FL, but all are F2.8. <br>

<br>

If you analyse your shots thus far, and find the 80 to 200F2.8 is too slow for most / many situations, then none on your list is suitable.<br>

<br>

For me, Basketball (indoors) lends itself to a more simple and lateral solution: Two fast Prime Lenses and Two Bodies and an arrangement with the League to be able to roam. <br>

<br>

Flash, in most instances here, is not permissible – the rules in your situation might be different, but the question I ask, is still relevant – because mostly all of the indoor the basketball courts and gyms I have shot, have had appalling light – unless they were lit for TV Transmission - and comprehensively Flash Lighting a B’Ball court is involved, and costly - even just at the Keys and Baskets. <br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>You didnt mention what body you were shooting with but... If f/2.8 isnt fast enough, then you are really going to have to consider fast primes. The 85 f/1.8 that you already have sounds like a good candidate. As somebody else mentioned, a fast 50 would problem also be useful with the proviso that you are going to target/shoot from a specific area of the court (e.g. the baseline). Whether you need something wider depends on whether you are shooting on a DX or FX sensor.</p>

<p>I shoot a fair amount of indoor sports in some rather poorly lit gyms. On good days, f/2.8 will just get me by. But I am also shooting with a D700 at ISO 4000 to 6400 @ 1/250s or faster. And I only do this because I like the convenience of being able to use my zooms. Otherwise it sounds like William has dispensed some pretty sound advice.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>John,<br>

I shoot pretty much the same as you but with 2 bodies, with an 85mm f1.4 on a dx body, unless the ends in the HS gym are to close to the court, then i use a 50 1.4<br>

On the other body, i use a 300mm f2.8 on a FX body(D700)</p>

<p>I shoot with a d90, I have a d70... but prefer to use just the d90... I want to be able to zoom a little and still get the shots under the basket when I'm on the endline under the goal as well... with the 85 I can't get the "whole" picture and with the 80-200 I'm having trouble getting the shot as well unless I move to the corner... I want to be able to get under the basket and get those shots!! The lens would also double up as more of an everday shoot lense as well... I have to maximize use due to financial constraints... I really don't want a prime lens even though they are faster - I can shoot from 2.8 to 4 depending on where I'm positioned. I teach at the school and I take these for the basketball programs as a little side income situation.<br>

shooting 3200 at 1/325 or better<br>

The lights are excellent for a high school gym</p>

<p>OK: thank you for answering my question so precisely.<br>

<br>

I have not used either the Tamron or the Sigma lens you mention. <br>

<br>

I personally know a couple of Wedding Photographers who use the Tamron 28 – 75 / F2.8 and they are very happy with that lens - also I have noted a couple of comments on the Photo.net Wedding Forum concerning this lens and those who’s opinion I trust have complimented the Tamron lens. also I have owned two Tamron Zoom lenses and I have been happy with them. So, that shows any biases I might have.<br>

<br>

Assuming the IQ and performance of both the lenses is equal, I think it comes down simply to this: the Sigma gives you 4mm wider, which it seems, is neither here nor there on the BBall court, because it seems you can move quite freely, so IF you needed 24mm - and that would be under the basket most likely - it is only one step back to frame the shot in 28mm - WOULD THAT BE A PROBLEM for you?<br>

<br>

BUT you mention that the lens is to be an everyday lens too, and I think, for everyday use the extra 4mm would be quite useful - if you tend to use (or wish to use) the wide angle? For landscape work for example.<br>

<br>

Also the extra 24mm would be useful, for example to take a few team shots – the point is the extra 4mm from 28 to 24 IS QUITE A DIFFERENCE, regarding what you can and cannot easily do. I do not think the extra 5mm at the long end enters into the discussion for choice. <br>

<br>

<br>

I think you need to assess the relative quality of the two lenses, if you are happy with both, the extra 4mm at the wide would decide it for me.<br>

<br>

WW </p>

<p>PS:</p>

<p><strong><em>"The lights are excellent for a high school gym"</em></strong><br>

<strong><em></em></strong><br>

I copy that. You are very lucky</p>