which lens to take and normal lens shoot out

<p>You have a Leica M7 and and a choice of 3 lenses: 35mm cron, 50mm cron, and 75mm cron all f/2.0. You are going on a 6 day trip and can only take one of the lenses and camera. There will be some people (relatives) and some scenics (but not the "vast vista" sort) to make pictures of. Those are the game rules. Which lens would you take? I'm inclined to take the 50mm. <br />There is now a Kodachrome contest. How about a normal lens shoot-out? The only rules: (1) Use only a normal lens for the camera. (2) No cropping. (3) No fancy screwing around or "cheating" with photoshop. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>There is now a Kodachrome contest. How about a normal lens shoot-out? The only rules: (1) Use only a normal lens for the camera. (2) No cropping. (3) No fancy screwing around or "cheating" with photoshop.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Every normal (50mm?) lens Leica ever made has different, but redeeming qualities. The characteristic look or rendering of one lens may lend itself perhaps to one subject better than another, or one look better than another. All these lens qualities depend upon lens design, glass formula, and lens coatings. I hope you are not suggesting a boring sharpness contest between various Leica lenses. There is far more to a pleasant image than acuity.</p>

<p>My favorite 50mm lens is the Leica Summitar f2. Astonishing perspective, almost three dimensional. Sherry Krauter turned me on to this lens. I must admit to having been skeptical initially, but now I am a believer.</p>

<p>Well, I guess I'll go by the majority vote and take the 35 cron. I could take one other lens but I was trying to keep things simple--don't like to lug stuff around airports and I had one of those "simplify, simplify" urges one gets from time to time coupled with the idea that if one can't make an interesting image with a normal lens, then perhaps one should give up photography. If I do take one other lens with the 35 lens, then it will be the 75. I am not suggesting a boring sharpness contest, only an image making contest. </p>

<p>I recently did a 10 day trip and brought the M7, M9, 25, 35 and 75mm lenses. I basically used the 35mm on the M9 90% of the time. I only shot one roll with the M7, and maybe 2-3 shots with the 25 and 10-15 with the 75. Anyway, that was just my trip, which involved a lot of heat and walking around, so lots of times I just took the m9 and 35 so I would not have to carry the rest...</p>

<p>I went to NY for a week and just took a 35mm, worked out really good. A few years ago I would have said the 50, but now I rarely use it though it's a good lens. I prefer 35mm for all around. Talking about Sumicron f2.0</p>

<p>I seem to have similar experiences to most of you. I too have brought camera(s) and many lenses but would wind up using just one lens and camera for much more than half the shots. My only (weak) complaint about wide angle lenses is that often they take in too much and the image looks busy. I don't like to crop if I can help it so if an image looks right from a certain position but my lens is taking in too much and I don't have a longer lens, then too bad. Going closer to the subject will often change the perspective in a negative way. However, a 35mm lens is not that wide. In any case I have decided to bring the 75 too. Probably won't use it. </p>

<p>Take the 35mm if you are inside most of the time and/or don't plan on doing individual portraits. The 35mm allows you to get more into the frame without having to move back. I find it serves well as the only lens.<br>

Take the 50mm if you know that you are outdoors and/or plan to do individual portraits. You can move back and forth outside to frame the shot.</p>