Which Lens is faster?

jason_conway1

<p>Which camera are you using? The "D" version uses a mechanical screw-driven focus mechanism that relies on an auto-focus motor in your camera. The AF-S version has the AF motor in the lens, and will generally be quicker to focus for most people. This depends on the camera body, to a certain extent. The AF-S version isn't made any longer (you'd be looking at the 70-200/2.8 AF-S), so I presume you're looking at used lenses?</p>

<p>The D300 has a fast AF system, and a reasonably good AF <em>motor</em>. Not quite as beefy as the D3 bodies, for example, but quite good. Certainly an AF-S lens is going be a bit more nimble, and quieter, as well. If money didn't matter, you'd want the new II version of the 70-200/2.8 VR, next choice being the very excellent version I of that lens (terrific on a D300 - I use it all the time). Third choice would be the discontinued 80-200/2.8 AF-S, with the D version the next choice. They're all optically very good, and to a certain extent we're splitting hairs by picking between them. Obviously the VR is frosting on the cake, if you can get it - but it may not be all that useful for you for sports. Of course, you'll end up using such a lens for more than just high speed action, so that's something to think about.</p>

<p>I just bought the Nikon 80-200/2.8 AF-S and I am quite pleased with it. I bought it primarily for the AF-S speed even though I use it on a fast D2X, and because I was pleased with the image quality on one that I had tested. However, I realize now why many prefer a push pull zoom for sports, and I do recommend checking both out thoroughly before buying. One of the non-AF-S push/pull versions can be had for about half of the AF-S.</p>

<p>The clearance between the zoom ring, of the AF-S, and the tripod mounting foot is not ideal for one's fingers while zooming, and the amount of barrel rotation required for zooming is a bit excessive. </p>

<p>I do not know if the VR versions are better in this respect or not.</p>