Which Lens Hood for 28mm AI-S?

spanky

Hi Everyone,

When I decided to look into a lens hood for my 28mm F2.8 AI-S I was unprepared for the enormous amount of part

numbers and styles. After a Google search, it appears that I have two choices...HN-2 and HR-6. Any others I may

have missed? Any generic ones that will work as well? I suppose I'd like a metal screw in type (52mm) but at this

point I just don't want to pick up the wrong kind and have to drive clear across town to return it.

Thanks for info,

Marc

I use the HN-2 which was originally designed for the 28mm f3.5, but it works fine and serves it's purpose very well. I use the hood mainly as a form of protection as I find that I shoot into the sun very often anyway, so the hood doesn't help much. The 28mm also looks very similar to my 35mm so I put the hood on the 28mm to distinguish them.

Nikon hoods are all explained <i><a href="http://nikomat.org/lens/hiyoke.html" >here</a></i>. Investing in a small

ground glass screen (or making one from transparent plastic) to check for vignetting at the film plane is essential if

you wish to use third-party hoods. In my experience, many circular Nikon hoods are significantly wider than needs-

be unless using very thick (or stacked) filters, and some lenses really do benefit from deeper hoods than Nikon

suggest. AC

The 52mm metal straight tube ones from B&H will do the best job on a crop sensor camera like D200. I use them

on 24/35/28/50 lenses for my D200. Adoramas also work but flare a little wider then go straight. The lenses are

AI-S and AI and I also have a set of AF same focal lengths.

If you use a D3, D700, or film, these probably will vignette.

The 28 AI-S that focuses to .2 meter is a fantastic lens. One of my favorites. The AF is just so so as is the one

that focuses to .3 meter. I love the fact there is virtually no distortion.