Which Lens for Snow/Skate Photography?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by stephen_hayes|1, Oct 30, 2008.

1. I have a Pentax K20D and I'm looking at two different wide angle/fisheye lenses.<br><br>
    1)Pentax 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5<br>
    2)Pentax 14mm f/2.8<br><br>
    I want the flexibility of fisheye and wide angle, but is f/3.5-4.5 too slow? I will definitely be using this lens for other
    subjects as well, but I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures up on the slopes. Are there any other lenses that I
    should be considering? Thanks for your help!

2. Stephen, the fisheye will give you much more „drama“ in your picture. If you want to shoot a lot into the sun i would choose the fisheye too. Sigma is building a faster (and probably better) lens with it's new 10mm F2.8 EX DC Fisheye HSM. Btw, Photozone reviews the SMC-DA 14mm f/2.8 and the SMC DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5. I'm a Nikon-shooter but if i had a Pentax the 14/2.8 would be the first lens i would buy for general photography. But i suspect for the skater/snowboarder crowd a fisheye with it's built-in „WOW“-effect makes more sense. Hope this helps, have fun, georg.

3. Hi Stephen,

Advice seems slow on this one, I am not familiar with the Pentax system but in Canon full frame the 16-35 f2.8 is king, ultra wide zooms have been THE lens for several years now along with creative use of wireless flash. A fisheye lens gives you one picture, maybe one shot per magazine, the 16-35 will account for half the images and 70-200 type lenses the majority of the rest. It really depends on the type of shot you want but there is no way, if I only had one lens, that I would buy a fisheye first.

The lens speed is not so important for snow boarding so go for the 10-17 zoom.

Take care, Scott.