Which lens for Event Photography ?

chimera_h

Hi,

I have the opportunity to do an event and I need to know which lens would be

best. I realize I should have several lenses to work with, but I can only get

one. I am currently using a 50mm 1.8 and I do have an 18-55mm. lens as well. I

know these won't work, so let me tell you about the setting and maybe you can

give me an idea as to what lens would be most useful.

It will be indoors (evening) and probably low lighting. There will be a stage

and stage lighting. I will photograph speakers and entertainers as well as

people as dinner tables.

This is for free and they know I've not done this sort of thing before. However,

I want to do really well.

So...I've heard a little about the 24-70 2.8lens and the and the Tamron 17-50

2.8. Do you recommend either one of these and why? I really need to do what is

the most affordable and versatile.

Also, would either one of the above lenses work well for beach photography?

I use the Rebel XT.

Thanks!

The 50 is a nice lens, but you can't zoom with it. The 18-55 is also nice, but not fast enough.

If you can swing it, get the 24-70/2.8 lens, you won't regret it for now, or future shoots. It's a fast lens, it's sharp and will help in low light situations.

The ont thing I did notice that you did NOT mention is a flash. You really need a good flash, I would look into the 550/580 or Metz 54Mz4 flash units. That in itself will help you with what you have now, and will help if you get a 2.8 lens. The lens may be 2.8, but it still needs some kind of lighting should the lights be not bright enough for you.

Also, shoot at 400 or 800 ISO you should be ok.

The 2.8 lens' will give you nice bokeh (background blur) on the beach scenes, so yet another reason to get one.

Now for the bagging. If you don't already have one, get a good camera bag to carry this stuff!

Are you sure the lenses you have won't do the trick? If you can shoot from the right distance from the stage, the 50 will do a nice job in those situations even without flash. For the tables, a good external flash with the kit lens will probably do better than no flash with a f2.8 zoom so if you're on a tight budget think about the flash first.

I got the tamron 17-50 2.8 and it's a huge improvement from the kit lens.

Andre

My vote would be for the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. It's a high-quality lens that is also fast, and offers a good deal of the focal lengths you'll likely need. Since you already have the 50mm f/1.8, bring it along "just in case". I doubt the 18-55 you have will do you much good indoors.

Hi I make my living from this work, unless there is heaps of room the 17 50 f2.8 + a 430 EX is all you`ll need. 24 70 is a nice lens but tooo big for table shots, I use 15 30 in reataurants & niteclubs. the 50mm 1.8 is ideal for entertainers.

have fun

There must be a reason 98% of all PJs have and carry two zoom lenses and one prime:<br>1. They work in most venues and<br>2. They cover nearly any situation where the venue is an enclosed room.<p>I, like most PJs, used f/2.8 28-70 & f/2.8 70-200 ``pro`` zoom lenses, with an f/2.8 24mm prime.<p>That said, you would be better served using the 18-55mm in Av mode: when you use Av, <i>the aperture you set is used throughout the zoom range</i>.<p>Your 50 f/1.8 is just fine for close-in candid work. <p>And as has been noted, a quality OEM flash in Av mode will serve you just fine if flash is permitted.

Wow! Thanks for the great information. I appreciate you all taking the time. I do have the 430EX Flash and a GF Lightsphere. So...you've all offered so much advice, I don't know which way to go. I do not have a lot of money. Could I not use the 24-70 2.8 for zoom and my 50mm. for table shots?

I have, what I suspect, is a really stupid question, but I might as well ask it here. :) I use a grey card for WB and exposure. Can I use the grey card when using a zoom lens? Meaning, if I'm far from the subject, where I might be in the dark but the the subject is on stage, is there a way to meter for light (using the grey card)?

Second stupid/probably pbvious question: Also, I know how to bounce flash, but if the subject is further away, do I aim the flash at the subject?

Thanks for the help!

Paige, the 50mm will be long for tables, the 24 70 ok with room. I`ll try to give you something to work from. this table shot (reject so hope they don`t mind) this taken about 8 feet back from the table at 18mm. 20D+15 30+550EX possibly with a stofen.

HTH

Hi Paige!

I've used a Canon 18-55 for event shots (I currently am doing for an alderman candidate here in Chicago). I also use a Canon Speedlite 580EX flash, which helps a lot in low light conditions (many of the places I shot in were bars, where the lighting is never at full brightness).

I sometimes use my Tamron 28-200 aspherical lens, mainly in the 28-70mm area, as the larger mm's won't cut it. Overall, I prefer the 18-55 mm lens.

I may get the 28-70 mm though (at the suggestion of those on this page), just to have on hand, as I like a lens with some range in mm's.

does anyone have a better suggestion for a flash besides the 580EX, as I think somtimes it doesn't always cut the mustard for low light rooms.

hope that helps some.

sheryl

does anyone have a better suggestion for a flash besides the 580EX, as I think somtimes it doesn't always cut the mustard for low light rooms.

Hi Sheryl, not sure what you mean here, we do restuarants and niteclubs all in low light using 550EX`s, with no probs.

The EX flashes emit an IR beam to assist focus so that shouldn`t be a problem. Not knowing your technique I just say what has worked best for us the last 14yrs..

We use central focus point only, `M` mode, slower shutter speeds to allow more ambient light 1/30~1/90 depends how much light you have to start with. the 18 55 best from f4~ f8 DOF varied for number of people in shot. focus on a nutral face (closest to gray) FEL recompose, shoot. Some folks don`t like doing this as they shoot wide open but with practice its fine. we also use Stofen diffussers with a plastic reflector on top to push light forward, it tends to reduce fall off in the low portion of the frame.

In dark rooms like nite clubs when dark aparel is worn you`ll still need some compensation, but FEL is far more accurate than just point & shoot.

The only other way is by Auto thyristor flash, we used then long before getting the EX`s, Metz CL4`s, which are a lot more consistant BUT unless you have faster lenses focus becomes a pain.A shoe mount Metz would be better for convenience sake.

HTH

• 1 year later...