Which lens adapter will work for this set-up?

joseph_digiugno

<p>Hello to all..... Please excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong area. I have been using a Canon AE-1 Program that I inherited from my grandfather for some time now, using only "Canon" specific lenses. Anyways, I have been on the market for a new "longer range" lens; and today, I happened to be at a thrift store somewhat local to me, and I found a Vivitar Tele-Zoom 85-205 lens (No: 22134895). I knew when I purchased it; it would not fit the canon body, however for condition and price, I couldn't pass it up.... Kinda hard to pass up a decent lens in good condition for $12.00 (Was 25; but store was having 1/2 off sale all merchandise). Anyways, I have been on numerous sites; and have seen many adapters, but unsure exactly which one would work for this set-up.... none of the sites specifically break down adapter"fit". I was wondering if anyone could assist me with this matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Like its revised descendant the Canon EOS, the older Canon FD-mount cameras like your AE-1P have very short flange distances and potentially can accept a vast range of lenses in other mounts.<br /> The problem is that these cameras have not been made for a long time, so it can be a little difficult to find the adapters.<br /> However, there are still some being made and you should be able to find such as Nikon>FD and other adapters on eBay, at least. Adapter prices are cheap, but remember that everything on an adapted lens will be completely manual. Things like auto-diaphragm have to be set before metering TTL.</p>

<p>Also, some lenses were made with interchangeable mounts (e.g., T-mount system) and there you only need to find an FD T-mount adapter on eBay.</p>

<p>To reply to Bill C's answer..... as of right now, The Vivitar lens I have did not have any mounts that came with it. The rear of this lens is threaded with a diameter which I am measuring to be right around 40mm.... Do not know if this will help anyone further answer my original question.<br>

Also; I am aware that by using any adapter to help make this lens work for my AE-1, I will have to manually focus the camera.</p>

<p>The AE-1 camera IS a manual focus camera....perhaps you meant manually set the diaphragm. I've occasionally used adapters for other mfr's lenses, which weren't for FD bodies, on FD mount bodies like the AE-1; most often Nikon lenses, some M42 pentax screwmount, several T mount, Tamron Adaptall, and also Leica R (rare adapter - allows infinity focus as part of DOF at F/8 and greater). As others said, you first need to identiry the mount on the lens. Perhaps the pictures and accompanying text from Rick Olesson in this link will help you: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html</p>

<p>The catch is that the T-mount is M42x0.75, if I remember correctly off the top of my head.<br>

The Pentax/Praktica mount is M42x1. In any case, using either on the other will strip the threads.<br>

Never force it, or you can ruin things.</p>

<p>That's a Kiron-made Vivitar zoom. I doubt seriously the threads are T-mount. Chances are most likely it's M42 (aka Pentax Screw Mount). If there is a single round pin next to the threads which actuates the lens diaphragm, then it's M42.</p>

<p>You can find either Canon-made or afermarket M42 (lens) to Canon FD or FL (body) adapters, especially on eBay. These will get you going. </p>

<p>When using the lens on your AE-1P, you'll have to meter in stop-down mode for correct metering to occur.</p>

<p>Thank you for that answer Michael..... there is a single pin next to the threads. Do have another question for you as well about a different lens/mount. Picked up a Minolta MD lens today.. got it from a friend of mine who no longer does any photography, but has had this lens sitting around for a little while. Which adapter would I need to make this work on my AE-1P</p>

<p>Low priced FD lenses aren't that hard to find. </p>

<p>Two good places are shop goodwill.com, and the eBay site for your nearby Goodwill store.<br>

(Some stores only have one of those.)</p>

<p>Then you can pick it up at the store, and avoid shipping charges. $12 is about right.</p>

<p>You might find the above mentioned adapters for about $12, too. <br>

Some are made in China, where they mail them directly to you. From China.</p>

-- glen

<p>Hey Joseph,<br>

I'd pay attention to what Glenn said. Used Canon gear is plentiful if you know where to look -- shopgoodwill.com, ebay, craigslist, and maybe even that new place -- letgo. That way you can dispense with fitment issues.</p>

<p>Minolta is problematic with Canon because their registration distances are so similar. I just googled this topic and found only one guy -- who has a 3D printer -- and he's making them himself -- SR/MC/MD to Canon FL/FD. </p>

<p>http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:135038</p>

<p>If I were in your shoes, I'd put that Minolta lens up for sale on eBay and take the funds from the sale and buy a Canon FD equivalent. The only exception might be if it is a very rare or desirable Minolta optic. If that were the case, it might be worth investing $30-40 in a clean SRT-101 to use it with. I'm reminded of a Minolta 16mm full-frame fisheye that I owned briefly. I was a Nikon user back then, so I shot a roll with it using a Minolta SRT that I was planning to sell, and I ended up selling the lens too. In retrospect, I wish I would have just kept that SRT so I would have had a camera to use that 16mm on. It was a spectacular lens.</p>