I know theres alot of threads about which lens is the better for

this or the = to, etc.. but my question is a little different. In

35mm , I use a 105 2.8 macro, for portraits and just about anything

with a face, and its perfect for me- Im going to be buyign a Bronica

Etrsi stsyem soon , and Im looking at either a 150 or a 200mm lens,

but Im not sure at what to look for in the Apeture range... 2,8 is

the magic # for 35 mm, whats a good one for MF if i want to achieve

shallow DOF?

For 6x6 portraits, the perfect combo for me is usually 135mm with a 15mm extension tube, and I'm usually around f:5.6 or 8 to get enough DOF so that the subject can move and sit comfortably without the eyes going out of focus. I have a 200mm, but for whatever reason I think the particular 135mm I have produces a smoother look for portraits.

James,

Possibly try and rent what your looking to buy - not easy I know with the Bronica system.

It's only really by seeing what suits your style of shooting that you'll find what you ultimately want to go with.

After shooting with a Canon EOS 85mm f1.8 I've got to say that medium format has not dissapointed with it's control over DOF. I've got an ETRSi and the 150 f3.5 older (and well regarded) MC lens. As already pointed out it focusses at around 5 and a half feet as a minimum (without extension tubes). I'm wary of shooting my kids at f4 or below because the depth of field can be so shallow that I'll struggle to keep both of them in focus - or even one of them.