Which is better monitor "NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi" or "LaCie 321"

I am planning to upgrade my monitor and have been doing some research on the

net. I finally short listed these 2 monitors. I was wondering if there is

anyone here having direct experience with any of the monitors.

</br>

</br>

1. <a href="http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=1713e080-c8e3-

4aab-9447-73dacb301b84" target="_blank">NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi</a>

</br>

2. <a href="http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10799"

target="_blank">LaCie 321</a>

</br>

</br>

Thanks,

</br>

Abhijit

I may be mistaken but I remember reading that the LaCie 321 is in fact using the NEC 2190 monitor and their own blue eye calibration software. I have been using a NEC MultiSync LCD 2190Uxi for the past 9 months and could not be happier. I invested in the SpetraView II calibration software and have had excellent softproofed screen to print match. I can not comment on the 2690WUxi since I have not actually seen one, but if it compares to my 2190 I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks, Morrie and Phil. Although I like the real estate of NEC 26" but I am concerned about the angle of view and dot pitch. Not sure if it really makes that much of a difference from 0.27 (21") to 0.29 (26").

Some folks said that the PS menus are very hard to read at 0.27. It would be nice to see these models somewhere at the showrooms. But they are not available here nearby.

I went to see ACD 23" but did not like the look and feel. I guess I am not an Apple guy. The sales person at Fry's could not even change the display picture for me to check.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Regards,

Abhijit

I wouldn't go near an ACD for color accurate work. For one thing, they don't have any internal contrast control. I called Apple to find out the bit depth. The Apple people didn't know what I was talking about. I wonder if it's 8-bit? Also, it's my understanding that they don't work that well under 140 candellas/sq.m. That's very high.

I don't know much about the NEC, but I don't think you can go wrong with the LaCie. They have bit depth of 12 for gamma, and at least that for the lookup table. Plus, the 321 has internal sensors that detect output at multiple places on the screen and adjust automatically to maintain consistency.

Another nice LaCie at a street price of just under $2000 (expensive!) is the new LaCie 526. LaCie claim's the color gamut is 95% of Adobe RGB 98. That's very good. If you get a LaCie, skip the colorimeter and get a Display 2 by X-Rite. The LaCie colorimeter is based on the same technology, and I'm pretty sure that you get the LaCie software with the display. I've used the software, and it's excellent. It also works with the Display 2 colorimeter.

Thanks, Niel, for your time and response.

</br>

</br>

I heard that LaCie is rebranded NEC 90 series. A 21" NEC would cost about 480 less than LaCie 21". Not sure what is the justification for the price difference.

</br>

</br>

ACD is out and EIZO is too costly for me. It would be either LaCie or NEC. Now the question is whihc model and what size! That is waht I am trying to get feedback on from this post.

</br>

</br>

NEC 26" supports 93.8% of Adobe RGB 98. But I read that it has some issue with the angle of view. You can read it on this link under the performance section.

</br>

</br>

<a href="http://www.necdisplay.com/NewsAndMediaCenter/Award/?award=8fd861a7-fb6d-4fef-8710-24810a58a4cb" target="_blank">MacWorld Review</a>

</br>

</br>

Thanks,

</br>

Abhijit

• 3 weeks later...