which is better 52mm UV filter, Kenko Pro1D UV or Hoya HMC UV?

ric_hunter

<p>hi guys!<br /> <br /> just want to ask this thing. today i went to a shop and bought a UV filter. i got good reviews about the hoya 52mm HMC UV-0. i decided to choose it to add on my new Nikon D5000. but when i went to the shops, its either it wasn't available or the price quoted was too high.<br /> <br /> i went to a shop, asked about it (SalesMan asked me to wait for 5-10mins, i dont know if he will look for their stock of it or unto something) but he ended up recommending the 52mm Kenko Pro1D UV filter. they said its better than hoya HMC (reasons are its thinner compared to Hoya HMC, therefore no haze, its easier to clean coz its not multi coated). so i ended up buying it.<br /> <br /> it was quoted at $45 but SM gave it to me at $30....<br /> <br /> Now my question guys are these:<br /> <br /> 1 Did i made a good buy or a "goodbye" on choosing the kenko over the hoya hmc?<br /> <br /> <br /> 2 Did i end up being duped by them on the price quoted and the quality of Kenko?<br /> <br /> <br /> ...Please help me guys! enlighten me on this to ease my wearies....<br /> <br /> PS...i bought a UV filter because its highly recommended in reviews to protect your camera sensor against the harmful UV rays and to protect your lens too<br /> <br /> ...i tested the kenko Pro1D this night and observed some ghosting light on my D5000's viewfinder and Live View but not on my picture...<br /> <br /> ...can you use a UV filter at night or do i need to remove them? so sorry for asking this if its a stupid question, this just proves that im really a newbie....i'll be testing it tomorrow noon at a Chinese garden and try to see its effect....<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> thanks a lot guys! hope to hear from all your good opinions....</p>

<p>Ric, you can try this link<br /><a href="http://www.optyczne.pl/5.4-Inne_testy-Test_filtrów_UV_Omówienie_wyników_i_podsumowanie.html">http://www.optyczne.pl/5.4-Inne_testy-Test_filtrów_UV_Omówienie_wyników_i_podsumowanie.html</a><br>

They found that Hoya, as economy option, superior than others, including Kenko, but the margin can be slim. I saw your filter on eBay (where most stuff usually overpriced) for $45, so, I guess, they gave you not so bad price. I recently purchased 52mm Hoya HMC Super at Adorama for $26, buying online is usually cheaper. It works fine and I guess so does Kenko.<br>

All stuff like "to protect your camera sensor against the harmful UV rays"..."its thinner compared to Hoya HMC, therefore no haze, its easier to clean coz its not multi coated" is a pure BS:))) ...they also are telling not all the truth. While cleaning HMC filters is really quite a job, uncoated/monocoated glass blocks more light and may allow more flare/ghosting, than multicoated. The most important thing here is the peace in photographer's mind, I mean, when you shoot it's better to focus on composition rather than thinking every moment about your lens protection. For example, I'm a very meticulous person, so I feel good with UV protector rather than without. If you tried shooting with and without the filter and don't see any image degradation or ghosting that's excellent, so you can attach the filter and forget about it at all:)))<br>

I don't think you should remove the protector filter at any time, including night, except when you need to add something else, like polarizer or so.<br />Cheers.</p>