which is best for a first portable flash, on camera or off?

dhalia_okal

<p>Hello,<br>

I am looking for a flash that could serve dual purpose (or am I better off getting two different types?)<br>

1-to light small objects in studio and out (products, water droplets, flowers, etc).<br>

2-for indoor portraits/events<br>

So far I have been trying to catch good light outdoors or shoot with the portrait flash set that I have indoors (it is a bit too large and uncomfortable to use for small objects photography and cannot be used outdoors).<br>

A small external flash is what I need, but not sure where to start. On camera/hot shoe flash or off camera? Brands? Cheap-Expensive: what features do the better ones have that the cheaper ones don't, etc?<br>

<strong>currently own</strong>:<br>

Nikon camera D700<br>

Tamron lens 90mm<br>

Photogenic basic (around $600) studio flash set w/umbrellas (not wireless) </p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Great... <br>

I do try to avoid using anything that requires disposable batteries... has anyone used these with rechargeable AAs? How reliable are they? Any way to see how much power is left while in use?<br>

Are there any cheaper yet reliable alternatives? thank you</p>

<p>How many time can you recharge those batteries? Do they work well after a recharge as when they were first used? Do you recharge or just buy new ones?</p>

<p>What is your opinion on this speedlight: <strong >Bower</strong> <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/605926-REG/Bower_SFD926N_SFD926N_Digital_Shoe_Mount.html">SFD926N</a>?<br>

<br /></p>

Buy the most powerful flash by nikon which is the SB800 or 900, speedlights need all the power they can get and buying nikon you can control remote flashes from yoru D700. Batteries are no real issue at all and performance with the new rechargable NiZn batteries is amazing with recycle times cut to fractions of what they are normally.

<p>I have this flash SFD926N, and I would suggest all the reviews at B & H/Overstock too...</p>

<p>when flash head is in bounce/swivel position zoom will set to 50mm, though using the "zoom" button zoom position can be changed and also TTL will work after manual zoom. I have tried full manual mode of the flash and power level to 1/16 (this is the lowest power) but still I get blinky, I am still learning on manual mode with power level selection.</p>

<p>My0.02cents... it's nice flash as long as I am using it on shoe. :)</p>