which is a good tripod

hermanjr

hello

I want to buy a good tripod and head but don't know which is a good investment.

I will like to spend $200 USD. So far I have seen two tripods that i might get.

I will be using it for outdoor photography, urban photography, and portraits.

So that ones that catch my eye has been Bogen/Manfrotto 190XPROB or the calumet

kit 7300. But I don't know if this will be a good choice. i will probably be

doing some hiking too. So i want something portable enough and strong at the

same time. To which one should I incline or consider to buy, and which head will

be good too.

Thanks you all for your help.

Herman Jr

I have a Bogen that is more than 20 years old and it still functions great. I realize there are better tripods available these days, especially the ball heads, but I like my Bogen. I wouldn't think of hiking with it though - it's incredibly heavy. Tripods have to be heavy to be really steady, especially if you are using a large DSLR. Wind can blow a light tripod around too. When I hike (here in Colorado) I use a monopod. I have a tripod that is lighter than the Bogen, but even that gets heavy after ten miles of mountain trails, so I make do with the monopod. I can attest to the longevity and dependability of Bogen products. Depending on what type of hiking you do though, think carefully about what you want to carry with you.

Joe

Herman, IMO the only downside to the 190XPROB is the weight. You get a lot of bang for the buck with this tripod but only you know if you can carry around a 5 lb tripod along with everything else.

If you are hiking/walking around a lot where weight is a consideration, an alternative is the Bogen 728B. It is about one lb lighter and less expensive, with tilt/pan head instead of ball head.

If it were me, I would go with the 190XPROB only if I didn't have to carry the tripod more than short walks. It is definitely the better tripod but both will work so it's really about personal choice.

• 5 months later...

Hello Herman,

Bogen tripods are great. I use them at work for video with the 501 fluid head and I have an older 3001 for still photography so I do believe in them. Last week after a lot of research I picked up a Slik Pro 700DX ($129.00). It is a rock solid tripod, 3 way pan head with 2 levels. Good for taller shooters even without extending the the center column. Check it out. http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=8032