Which holiday lens setup for 5D3

Aleem

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a 5D3 (upgrading from a trusty old Digital Rebel XT crop sensor) together with a Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II lens

I am due to go on holiday with the family to Dubai and am looking for a good general setup to do some photography whilst on holiday, mainly children and the various sites. I would also like to do some video work although not sure what equipment I need for this

The 70-200 is a bit heavy and also seems to attract a fair bit of attention.

My only other lens is the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens

I have looked at the 24-105 f4 vs the 24-70 f2.8 (obviously a good chunk more expensive)

What would you guys recommend??

The 24-105/f4 is a stupendous lens for travel photography. The high-ISO capability of your 5D3 will assure that you won't need an f/2.8. During RAW conversion, use Digital Lens Optimization to correct for geometric distortion, chromatic aberration, vignetting, etc. at every aperture and focal-length, to assure that your finished product is exceptional. (I've got a 50" print of the Grand Canyon that I took with my old 24-105mm). If you can afford it, the extra stop of IS makes the Series II a worthwhile upgrade; however, that also means that used 24-105/f4 are available at bargain prices.

Don't be ashamed of your kit. Going to France next month, I'll take the 5DS-R, 24-105/f4, 70-200/f4 and 14/2.8 II, along with the 1.4x and 2.0x TC-III. I might even take the 5D MkIV for night shooting. Get insurance. Don't be afraid to buy used, from a reputable dealer.

Taken with EF 24-105mm f/4L IS at 73mm:

6321115100_32503f6864_b.jpgTwisted cedar, snow and canyon by David Stephens, on Flickr

The EF 24-105 is not perfect, either in the old or the new version. All the same, for usefulness and portability it has the edge over the other mid-range zooms. For a "light" day out, that's my whole kit. [the newer version may not be enough improved to make it a 'must" (http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/995-canon24105f4ismk2 )]

My normal shooting kit is a "full-frame" Canon with a 24-105, and APS-C Canon with the 100-400 (I). I can just endure a full day of shooting with both (bent, but unbroken) and a "prime" lens for the dark. A T/S lens for architecture instead of the telephoto zoom in cities, etc.

• Like 1

My FF camera is a 5DIII, and the lens I would always take with me traveling is the 24-105. The weaknesses it has are offset by the very useful zoom range. And the flaws are easily correct in Lightroom (a single click on the lens profile will take care of most of them) as well as in DPP.

For me, anything beyond that depends on the circumstances. I think a longer lens is often useful, but I wouldn't want to lug the 70-200 f/2.8. That is one reason I bought the f/4 IS instead: half the cost, half the weight, and smaller. However, you might find that focal length range useful, if you don't mind lugging it. Keep in mind that the angle of view is much wider on a FF than on your old XT. The 105 mm on the 5DIII will give you the same field of view as a 66mm on your old camera.

I use 5D Series cameras and I take an EF 24 to 105 F/4 L IS USM and that does me fine on holiday for scenery and also for street portraiture, in addition to the adequate Focal Length compass for what I like to photograph, I find the IS an invaluable tool for both situations and also for interior architecture:

17760326-orig.jpg

Dusk at Portofino - Italy 2012 (hand held at around 1/30th)

17760337-orig.jpg

"Selfies" - Paris 2012 (hand held at some really slow shutter speed)

WW