which model (CFN, GCFN, FN etc...), where I should buy it and about

how much I should pay? I've done a little research and I know the S

model was replaced by the N model, but would I be better off with

the Flash model, the colored flash model or the Glass lens model? I

want my options to experiment with the camera to be open an

available but I also don't want to get the flash model if its

completely useless. Thanks in advance for your answers and

responses.

Get the cheapest one you can find. A big part of peoples' fondness for the Holga look comes from the soft abberrations made with that dinky plastic lens. Don't waste money on the built-in flash - the lowest-end model has a hotshoe that works well and any $2 junk-bin Speedlite will work better than the in-camera flash.<p>

I love mine, and even though I rarely use it anymore, it's a great little camera. I fully recommend hacking up the mask to make a 6x6, and don't recommend omitting the mask altogether. Enjoy!

Buy any one you want, but I think less is more. I have the flash only unit (FN? i cant remember) which I bought on Amazon for 16$? and it's the best plastic toy camera I've ever touched. The more base unit, the cheaper and funner to experiment with. Glass lens seems moot in a thing like this. I have heard mixed results with it. After all, super sharp images really shouldnt come from this baby. Have fun, buy cheap, it probably won't be your last one and all are different. My flash unit comes in handy. Most units dont have a flash shoe or tripod mount (easy to make) or even a B setting. Get gel samples instead of the CFN. I made beautifully grainy 30" prints from Ilford 3200 and exhibited them with artsy bliss because it was for me, not to explore the sharpness of the lens or the diffusion range of the blah blah blah. Have fun!<div>00F7IB-27930584.jpg.8d960453f32a96d8c20af6849dce514a.jpg</div>

I would avoid the flash units. The flash will provide no useful function that could not be beter controlled with an external flash, and it will raise the cost. The new cameras come with the 6x6 mask so you don't have to hack up the 6x4.5 mask. The glass lens model (Woca) is not as funky as the original so if you want the really classic 'Holga' shots, stick with the S. If you want a little less Holga, go with the glass lens Woca.

- Randy

I've got a glass-lens model and really can't tell the difference in the photos.

I've read that with the flash models, you can't remove the film mask (which I don't necessarily recommend anyway). Anyway, if you have a manual hot-shoe flash, you don't need the flash on the Holga.

I'd go with the basic Holga, no flash, no colory stuff. Buy at Freestyle, www.freestylephoto.biz.

The dearest one is always best. That's why you should buy a Leic... Oops, sorry, wrong

forum.

I have the CFN (coloured flash model with the filter pack). I have a photo of it on my new

<A HREF="http://6cmx6cm.blogspot.com/">toy camera blog</A>. Ahem. I've never used

the flash but it could save a photo, I guess. I'm keen to use the filters however - small

pack of the usual colours and a small pack of semi-opaque filters with a clear centre, just

in case you get a lens that's too sharp for your liking. I'm inclined to feel that the flash

isn't that useful but the filters could be, either for the usual black and white work or just

because it's a way to vary the exposure a bit. You can bracket a photo by using a filter and

then not using a filter. I suppose using flash would bracket in the other direction. That's a

thought, actually... But as someone said above, any cheapo secondhand flash would work

as well. In sum, I don't think it really matters, so long as the shutter works and you

remember to put film in and take the lens cap off.

Good reminder, there. Holgamods has a "User Manual" for Holgas. Freestyle has a different "User Manual" for Holgas. Read them both, good information there.

These things do change some as they go along. Choice of film mask, for example. Or foamy stuff to tighten up film spool (Woca had it, Holga didn't when I bought mine).

Thanks for everyones input! It helped immensely in my descision. After researching the various mentioned websites, it looks like Holgamods will soon be getting my business. You can't beat the price for the simple modifications that make sense without altering the camera's characteristics. Again, thanks for all the input. Once I get the camera and get some photos, taken, I'll try to post them as soon as I can.

"Glass lens seems moot in a thing like this. I have heard mixed results with it. After all, super sharp images really shouldnt come from this baby."

Jeff's entitled to his opinion, he's right that the lens by itself doesn't make a huge difference. I resist value judgments on the 'right' kind of Holga camera and images derived from it, if only because of the irony - since Holga owners are well-accustomed to defending their right to use the thing in the first place.

I have a glass-lensed 'Woca' model and it is definitely sharper in the center than the plastic meniscus, but 'super-sharp'? - no way, even by Holga standards. I also eliminated the light leaks and reduced the 'sunny' aperture because it improved the kind of images I sought in the hard flat desert light of the Southwestern U.S., - but one or two people seemed to think that was sacreligious as well.

After all, can there really exist an orthodoxy of the alternative (crappy) camera?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree with Bruce. Buy them all. I have had one each for years and love them all. The Woca does give a slightly better photo with its glass lens but the difference is just that - slight. We buy Holgas because they are funky fun cameras. I carry high end digital and 35mm's for serious shooting but my favorite camera is a 1970's Canon A-1. In my kit is a Snap Dragon pinhole plus a few small hand made pinholes made from Altoid tins. When I am shooting serious I also want to remember to have fun and that is where Holgas come into play. You just never know when the leaks will get so bad as to make a great photo. Sorry to be so winded but remember to enjoy and not get too serious.

BTW - I enjoy all of the comments. Great group.

Cheers

Ray Esposito

• 1 year later...

Hello all!

Just wanted to ask a question. Just bought a Holga 120FN, and am anxious to use it. I was told the earliest Holga production models have only ONE usable aperture (despite the switch) which is approximately f13. Do the N series cameras (or at least the 120FN) have a working aperture switch?

I don't know how accurate the f/13 value is (others have indicated f/11) but regardless your understanding of the Holga 120S (unmodified) is correct.

As far as I know, the updated Holga 120N, FN, GFN, etc also only have one aperture value regardless of the setting on the switch.

• 6 months later...

I just got a GN and there is no effect from the aperture switch because there is a fixed hole that is smaller.

If the glass lens makes the centre seem slightly sharper, OK. What of the effect on the edges & corners?

When people say the glass lens is better it makes me worried!

• 1 year later...

<p><strong>Hello,</strong><br>

<strong>My name is Chalisa and I have a wholesale and retail website that is based in Thailand, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and China. We are specialized in anything trendy, high technology and up-to-the-minute items. Our product ranges from home decor, music accessories, toys, toy cameras (Holga products), polaroid cameras, collectible items and made to order premium items.</strong><br>

<strong>If the product on our website are not what you are looking for then you can contact us directly via email. Send us details or photos and quantity of the product you are looking for and we will get back to you with wholesale prices. </strong><br>

<strong>Please bare in mind that if the product is out of stock, it will take approximately 6 to 10 days for us to import it from either Korea, Japan, Hong Kong or China. However, you can pre-order any items on the website beforehand to avoid having to wait for the next delivery. (exact shipping duration varies by countries)</strong><br>

<strong>Please do check back on our website frequently as we have items updated daily. </strong><br>

<strong>Web Page: http://www.shopviaus.com (NOTE: Once you enter the website, please notice the top right hand corner and click on the ENGLAND Flag for ENGLISH LANGUAGE or if you have any problem do not hesitate to email us directly). </strong><br>

<strong>Email / MSN: <a href="mailto:shopviaus@hotmail.com">shopviaus@hotmail.com</a></strong><br>

<strong>Thank you and I very much appreciate your time :)</strong></p>

<strong><br /></strong>

• 4 months later...