which HEAD to buy for Gitzo GT2531

igor_gefter

<p>I just bought a Gitzo GT2531.<br>

Now I need a head to go with this tripod. I was looking at the used ones to save a little on the cost, but am also open to buying brand new.<br>

Someone is selling a used Acratech GV2 fro $270. I heard it is a good head, but I am not crazy about how big/bulky it is.<br>

I can get a brand new Markins M10 for $330 from Seoul shipped to me.<br>

Any other suggestions of what may be the best head to match up my Gitzo GT2531?<br>

Any advice would be appreciated.</p>

<p>The best Arca-type plate, compatible with the Z1 (an excellent choice, by the way), will be contoured to fit the bottom of the camera. A flat plate will do, but you will find an L-plate more useful, because it holds the camera directly over the head on either horizontal or vertical mode.</p>

<p>Really Right Stuff or Kirk Enterprises make the best plates, and are compatible with the Z1. Some plates are too small for a good fit. The Z1 clamp is adjustable, but you don't want to do it each time. Pick one source for plates and use them on all your cameras or lenses.</p>

<p>I bought an Arca Swiss Z1 with 1/4 screw top and then mounted a Kirk release. Easy to do and works perfectly. I have plates from Kirk, Wimberely, RRS and rails from Kirk and Novoflex - all work perfectly.</p>

<p>I had previously used the RRS lever quick release, but it wasn't compatible with the Novoflex rail (the best I've used).</p>