Which flashbulbs

Cliff,

The Brownie Hawkeye Flash model I have calls for #5 or #25B bulbs, sometimes called Press 25 bulbs, too. But BE SURE to get the #5B or #25B (B stands for Blue coating, needed to correct the bulb's light output for color temperature of daylight, which most color film is balanced for). You can use #5 & #25 clear bulbs, but they are color-balanced for tungsten film (indoor), and unless you put a blue filter (80B?) over the lens, you will pictures will have a yellow/orange hue on daylight color film.

As for exposure, I'd stay about 10-12 feet from your subject because the film you're using is about twice as fast (sensitive) as most of the original films in the 620 size (80-100 ASA) and you'd overexpose subjects at closer distances. If you want to get closer, say 6-10 feet, do this: put a single or double layer of tissue or white handkerchief over the flash reflector (to decrease light output since Brownie has no aperture adjustments). For six foot range, definitely use a double layer of cloth.

I wouldn't go closer than six feet to subjects, even with hankerchief layer(s) over the flash reflector, UNLESS you have the auxilliary Kodak lens close-up adapter (No. 13, if I remember correctly). It slips on the front of the Brownie Hawkeye's lens and allows you to get about 3.5 feet away from your subject. When using the No. 13 lens and flash, I'd try 3 or four layers of hankerchief.

Hope this helps!

--Micah in NC (new poster here)

Thanks for the info Micah, I'll keep the distance of 12 feet and try the handkerchief trick when 12 feet is not practical. This will be my first experience shooting a Brownie, it should be fun. My grandfather had a few Brownies but we always managed to use other cameras.

Cliff