Which Flash For Cameras I Have

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by andrew_powers, Oct 1, 2014.

1. I have a Nikon D90, D5100, and a D40X. Which Nikon Flash would work best with the 3 cameras I have. Not absolutely for the D40X if that would make a big difference. I'm not doing much indoors right now, but would like to be able to do indoor shots if the need arises.
    Would appreciate the advise.
    Thanks, Andy

2. The SB910 is terrific, but expensive and large, especially when mounted in the hot shoe on those smaller bodies. The SB700 is its little brother, and probably ideal as a do-it-all flash for that collection of cameras.

3. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

All three of those cameras are compatible with Nikon iTTL flashes, which are the ones with triple-digit model numbers, such as the SB-700 and SB-910 Matt mentioned above.
    The D40X and D5100 are fairly small cameras, so you might not want to use a huge flash on them, e.g. the SB-900 and SB-910.

4. The SB-500 would be a good choice for you.

5. unless you plan on using multiple flashes with CLS, the older 600 is still a great model. i wouldnt get a Great Dane flash for a chihuahua camera. the 500 is tiny, but can't be dialed down in manual mode like the 600 and 700.

6. You could probably find a good used SB-600 as well for under $200.

7. Thanks for the super fast response from you guys! It gives me something I can work with.
    Thanks,
    Andy

8. I second the merits of the SB-600 if you can live with the interface (and if you have three of them to use in a wireless rig, as I do, you get the price discount three times but only have to live with the interface once...)

However, if you're talking about a small flash that you'd only use occasionally, I'd look into the non-Nikon options, like the cheaper Nissin or - if you can live with manual controls - Yongnuo flashes. They won't give you CLS remote control, unlike the SB-600 and above, but since of your cameras I believe only the D90 can use its internal flash as a wireless master anyway (disclaimer: I have a dodgy memory, please RTFM) that may not hurt you much. They're fine on a coily cable or to give a bit more control and oomph from the hotshoe.

9. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Please check this thread on some of the size comparisons: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cKST
    I own those flashes, but there are also the SB-300, 400, and 500 now.

10. I really like the SB-400 on smaller bodies, but it has been discontinued, that's why a suggested the SB-500. The SB-300 is nice, I have one, but it's flash power is kind of anemic, so maybe not the "best" as OP requested.

11. Thanks Shun, the thread was very helpful! I think the SB-700 would absolutely do the job. I'm also going to look into the Nissin Di866 MKII.
    Thanks again!
    Andy

12. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

The SB-700 is newer than the SB-600. The SB-700 has a much improved user interface (control buttons and menus) than the SB-600, and the SB-700 can be a CLS (Nikon Creative Lighting) master. But it is also more expensive.
    The SB-300, 400, and 500 use only two AA batteries and are smaller units. They are good if you don't need a lot of flash power.
    Several years ago I wrote this article for photo.net: http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/guide-to-ttl-flashes/
    The basic information remains mostly the same, but Nikon has updated all of the flash models mentioned inside.

13. Andrew, I just want to comment regarding SB-600 vs SB-700 prices. SB-600 might not save you much money over the newer SB-700. In my region (Pacific NW, USA) SB-600 prices are quite high relative to its age. I see SB-600s listed for $150 to $200 (sometimes higher) and SB-700 is more like $200 to $250.
    Perhaps the SB-600 is holding value because it is compatible with film and digital? Anyway, I owned an SB-600 and I sold it for an SB-700. I agree the interface is easier on the SB-700. THe SB-700 also includes colored snap on filters (amber and green) to adjust to fluorescent or tungsten lighting. Very convenient if you are going to be using the flash indoors. I think SB-600 is more powerful than SB-700. I never seem to use my flash near full power, so the GN disparity has never been important to me.
    I would expect you can save about $50 by going used SB-600 over used SB-700. I would definitely also look at the SB-500, if you don't need the power/customization offered by the higher models.

14. The Nissin Di866 is a great flash. Actually slightly more powerful than anything Nikon has to offer, and i-TTL and CLS compatible. Plus it has a subsidiary flash, and takes interchangeable battery holders if you need to swap batteries quickly.
    I'm not too keen on the gaudy colour display and interface, but at least it's not button-crazy like some of Nikon's speedlights. The interface aside I've been very happy with mine.
    CLS isn't too useful if you only have one flash, so the fact that you could get two Nissin's for just over the price of one SB-910 should be a big incentive to go with a Nissin - or two.

15. >>I have a Nikon D90, D5100, and a D40X. Which Nikon Flash would work best with the 3 cameras I have.

The SB-300, SB-400, SB-500 would be a bad choice for the D90 and D40X.
    Because those simple flashes have no LCD menu, and must use the camera menu for internal flash instead. They cannot work as a flash without that camera menu. The D90 and D40X are older, never heard of this situation, and cannot control these simplest flashes.
    Any SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910 will work fine on all cameras you mention. They are complete flashes, even able to work standalone.
    If cost is a concern, look at this one : http://www.scantips.com/lights/yongnuo565.html
    It will also work with the Commander, but only the D90 has a commander (of those three).

16. Andy,
    if you're just starting out with flash, you can do a lot worse than get some old models online (SB-20 is my favourite as it can be manually adjusted/checked; £10-£20 here in the UK).
    Cheaper, smaller, can be optically slaved with a little cheap add-on unit, will work in the Nikon hotshoe no problem and still pack a deal of light. See how they work for you and then get something like a SB-700 when you want to move on to CLS
    andyc