Which Flash For Cameras I Have

andrew_powers

<p>I have a Nikon D90, D5100, and a D40X. Which Nikon Flash would work best with the 3 cameras I have. Not absolutely for the D40X if that would make a big difference. I'm not doing much indoors right now, but would like to be able to do indoor shots if the need arises.<br>

Would appreciate the advise.<br>

Thanks, Andy</p>

<p>All three of those cameras are compatible with Nikon iTTL flashes, which are the ones with triple-digit model numbers, such as the SB-700 and SB-910 Matt mentioned above.</p>

<p>The D40X and D5100 are fairly small cameras, so you might not want to use a huge flash on them, e.g. the SB-900 and SB-910.</p>

<p>I second the merits of the SB-600 if you can live with the interface (and if you have three of them to use in a wireless rig, as I do, you get the price discount three times but only have to live with the interface once...)<br />

<br />

However, if you're talking about a small flash that you'd only use occasionally, I'd look into the non-Nikon options, like the cheaper Nissin or - if you can live with manual controls - Yongnuo flashes. They won't give you CLS remote control, unlike the SB-600 and above, but since of your cameras I believe only the D90 can use its internal flash as a wireless master anyway (disclaimer: I have a dodgy memory, please RTFM) that may not hurt you much. They're fine on a coily cable or to give a bit more control and oomph from the hotshoe.</p>

<p>The SB-700 is newer than the SB-600. The SB-700 has a much improved user interface (control buttons and menus) than the SB-600, and the SB-700 can be a CLS (Nikon Creative Lighting) master. But it is also more expensive.</p>

<p>The SB-300, 400, and 500 use only two AA batteries and are smaller units. They are good if you don't need a lot of flash power.</p>

<p>Several years ago I wrote this article for photo.net: http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/guide-to-ttl-flashes/<br>

The basic information remains mostly the same, but Nikon has updated all of the flash models mentioned inside.</p>

<p>Andrew, I just want to comment regarding SB-600 vs SB-700 prices. SB-600 might not save you much money over the newer SB-700. In my region (Pacific NW, USA) SB-600 prices are quite high relative to its age. I see SB-600s listed for $150 to $200 (sometimes higher) and SB-700 is more like $200 to $250. </p>

<p>Perhaps the SB-600 is holding value because it is compatible with film and digital? Anyway, I owned an SB-600 and I sold it for an SB-700. I agree the interface is easier on the SB-700. THe SB-700 also includes colored snap on filters (amber and green) to adjust to fluorescent or tungsten lighting. Very convenient if you are going to be using the flash indoors. I think SB-600 is more powerful than SB-700. I never seem to use my flash near full power, so the GN disparity has never been important to me.</p>

<p>I would expect you can save about $50 by going used SB-600 over used SB-700. I would definitely also look at the SB-500, if you don't need the power/customization offered by the higher models.</p>

<p>The Nissin Di866 is a great flash. Actually slightly more powerful than anything Nikon has to offer, and i-TTL and CLS compatible. Plus it has a subsidiary flash, and takes interchangeable battery holders if you need to swap batteries quickly.</p>

<p>I'm not too keen on the gaudy colour display and interface, but at least it's not button-crazy like some of Nikon's speedlights. The interface aside I've been very happy with mine.</p>

<p>CLS isn't too useful if you only have one flash, so the fact that you could get two Nissin's for just over the price of one SB-910 should be a big incentive to go with a Nissin - or two.</p>

<p>>>I have a Nikon D90, D5100, and a D40X. Which Nikon Flash would work best with the 3 cameras I have.</p>

<p><br /> The SB-300, SB-400, SB-500 would be a bad choice for the D90 and D40X.</p>

<p>Because those simple flashes have no LCD menu, and must use the camera menu for internal flash instead. They cannot work as a flash without that camera menu. The D90 and D40X are older, never heard of this situation, and cannot control these simplest flashes.</p>

<p>Any SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910 will work fine on all cameras you mention. They are complete flashes, even able to work standalone.</p>

<p>If cost is a concern, look at this one : http://www.scantips.com/lights/yongnuo565.html</p>

<p>It will also work with the Commander, but only the D90 has a commander (of those three).</p>

<p>Andy,<br>

if you're just starting out with flash, you can do a lot worse than get some old models online (SB-20 is my favourite as it can be manually adjusted/checked; £10-£20 here in the UK).<br>

Cheaper, smaller, can be optically slaved with a little cheap add-on unit, will work in the Nikon hotshoe no problem and still pack a deal of light. See how they work for you and then get something like a SB-700 when you want to move on to CLS<br>

andyc</p>