Which EOS film bodies can record shutter speed, aperture without using a technical back?

anton_kratz

<p>This question is about film (!) EOS bodies.<br>

Currently I am using EOS 620. However there is one single feature which I miss, I would like to automatically record for each image the shutter speed and aperture. (Also it would be nice to record the focal length which has been set on a zoom lens, if this is even possible, but this is optional). Right now I am taking notes after each shot which is very tedious.<br>

I believe there is a technical back for the EOS 620 and some other of the EOS bodies, but the technical backs are very, very hard to find and if I find them they are outrageously expensive.</p>

<p>My question is, what are the film EOS bodies which can record shutter speed and aperture, <em>and have this functionality in the body</em>, not in a technical back (which is too hard to acquire)?</p>

<p>I believe the EOS 1v has this feature - are there any other bodies which have this?<br>

And are there maybe even EOS bodies which print this information between the frames on the film? Because even if I buy the EOS 1v, that would still leave the problem of finding the cable and software.<br>

I am using Windows 7.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And are there maybe even EOS bodies which print this information between the frames on the film?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>None. The only cameras I know of which can do that are Nikon's 35mm F6 and the Pentax 645N medium format cameras. Minolta's Maxxum 9 can store this on a memory card, but you need a special back.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Aye, and the Fuji GA645zi does too. Forgot that one. I know with the F6 you can buy an interface module to download the data to a memory card. There is also one for the EOS-1V but they're no longer made and I've seldom seen them come up for auction. About as rare as the BP9xi battery grip for the Minolta Maxxum 9xi. Hen's teeth are common, by comparison.</p>

<p>As Jamie noted, the EOS IX series records aperture, shutter speed, frame number, date, time, etc., on the magnetic strip portion of the film. When the print is made, this info is printed on the back of the print. I have an IX from 1996 and it is a cute camera. Love the stainless steel body shell and form factor. Was never very fond of APS film but it does scan more easily--less tweaking--than most films. I don't think I've used the camera since the late 90s.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I think the Minolta Maxxux 7 records this data. When I was an avid film shooter and b&w photography student I used a Nikon F80s which was a special model that recorded the aperture and shuter speed on the negative and not on the picture. It was a good tool and beat the heck out of recording it manually which was a requirement.</p>

<p>The EOS IX also records the focal length used to take each photo. I have a stash of APS film in my freezer which I use for family snapshots and run and grab situations. APS may be gone and mostly forgotten, but I still enjoy shooting an occasional roll with my EOS IX and Elph 370Z.</p>

<p>The EOS-1V with the ES-E1 kit (software and cable) is the only Canon 35mm SLR with the capability you are looking for built into it. The driver for communicating with the camera will not work on any version of Windows more recent than XP, and even then I think you may need the second version of the software which was available as a download – I don't know if the CD in the ES-E1 kit was ever updated, but there is no need to install from it, since it will act as a key disk if you put it in your drive and just run the updater.</p>

<p>Connecting the camera through the ES-E1 kit provides two main capabilities. You can download shooting data, and you can set the Personal Functions of the camera body. AFAIK there are no alternative methods of doing either of these tasks.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>The pre-EOS Canon T90 had both a "Memory Back" and a "Command Back" available for recording data both on a dedicated MSX computer (what ever that was. God luck finding one.) and imprinted select data on the film. I still own a T90 with a Command Back, which in it's day was the most sophisticated Canon that took manual focus FD lenses, but have not used it in years.</p>