Which color film for an outdoor wedding?

terry_m1

<p>In two months I will be capturing images at my sister's daughter's outdoor wedding (as the only photographer) with my R8 and various lenses. I have only used black & white film for a long time and thus have been away from color film for about three years. I detest grain and therefore seek a color film without grain impact and without excessively saturated colors. If you have any excellent recommendations, can you also point me to wedding images you've captured with that recommended color film? Thank you, all.<br>

Terry</p>

<p>The Kodak and Fuji portrait negative films, 400NC and 400H respectively, are excellent. The Kodak palette tends to be warmer than the Fuji. Which is better is simply one of personal taste, and is easily color balanced out in post in any case. Both films render the gamut of skin tones beautifully.</p>

<p>I would recommend the 400ISO films though for practicality sake. The 160ISO films are great with controlled lighting and in the studio. In the wild, however, you may find yourself often running out of shutter speed for the requisite depth of field.</p>

<p>Also, be mindful of underexposure. The portrait films are characterized by huge dynamic range, but this only applies on the overexposure side. Not enough light, and muddy shadows and emphasized grain result.</p>

<p>Lastly, I know you intend to use the R8, but I don't suppose you could be convinced to try out a MF rig or a full frame digital? The portrait films trade sharpness for low grain. Regardless of the optics, you will be limited by the small 135 format; 8x10 is about the extent for high detailed enlargement.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I will be bringing my Metz 54 Mz-3 flash for fill-in lighting, so I won't necessarily need a 400-speed film perhaps. My sister's daughter has told me she doesn't want enlargements greater than 8x10 inches in size, so my Leica equipment will be fine and outstanding. Last year I gave her fiance my old R4 camera along with 28, 35, 50, and 90mm lenses after showing him the glorious quality Leica's R lenses create on film emulsions, and both he and she chose me to photograph their wedding based on what they saw on my darkroom-based prints in addition to what he has captured on black & white film with the lenses I gave him.</p>

<p>What colors are being worn? Where outside; sun or shade etc? What lighting? Night or day color temps? Kodak Portra films are the best for weddings . . . it is what they are made for! If unsure of the answers, then by all means stock up with Portra 160NC & 400NC! These 2 are lower contrast and extremely accurate color palettes. You can adjust print qualities during production and skin tones, white & blacks are usually very crisp & accurate. That said, I have had excellent results with Fuji Pro 400H too.</p>