Which Close Up Diopter - Opinions Please

lindsay_dobson

Hi,

I was involved in some wedding photography last week and on many of the detail shots the principal photographer used a

screw on close-up diopter. The results were quite good (he was using the Hoya +4, I think just the standard one). Although

I have a 100mm f2.8 macro, there were certainly occasions when swapping lenses would have been inconvenient, unsafe

and time-consuming, so I've decided that I'd like one of these little close-up devices. It would mostly be used on my 70-200

f2.8 IS (77mm thread size) on my 5D. I've had a look around the forum, and I've checked the prices - in that filter size the

options I've found are these:

Hoya +4 Macro Filter - £49 (I'm in the UK)

Canon 500D close up lens - £139

Marumi DHG +5 Achromatic Macro Lens - £172

Currently, I'm not looking at the Nikon versions as I would need an adaptor ring which would slow down my attachment

speed a little.

I'd like to get the best quality, and the magnification value best suited to small objects such as wedding rings. I understand

the 500D is only +2 which may rule it out? I would also like to use it on my 24-105 L if possible. I would greatly appreciate

your advice and comments, and perhaps an indication of how these diopters might behave on different focal length lenses.

Thank you,

Lindsay

"Although I have a 100mm f2.8 macro, there were certainly occasions when swapping lenses would have been inconvenient, unsafe and time-consuming, so I've decided that I'd like one of these little close-up devices."

Screwing a two-element 77mm close-up lens on and off the filter thread of your lens is far MORE inconvenient, unsafe and time-consuming than changing lenses. In the 100/2.8 you already have the ideal tool for the job, or, at least, one of them - for small product photography from a tripod, the TS90 might b even better. If changing lenses is really an issue, get an additonal body.

Thank you Robin, I'm sorry if I've put this question in the wrong forum, but since it related to my EOS lenses I supposed it

would be best put here. It took seconds to place the diopter on the lens, and I'm always mindful of the dust which my 5D

seems to attract. My second body normally has the 24-105 on it. I was shooting with quite a prominent photographer, and

we do understand good technique. We are sometimes in an environment where there is no space and/or insufficient time

to set up a tripod.

I would use a 500D on a 70-200/2.8. Two elements close up lens is far better than a single element meniscus close

up like Hoya standard version (non AC version) when it come to color. A single element lens can not correct either

longitudinal and

transverse chromatic aberration. It could really stand out with B/W contrast subjects and at the long end of the

zoom.

I would think these are not good issues at wedding.

When the 70-200 is set to 200mm and infinity, a 500D +2 will yield 200/500 or 0.4X magnification. When you set to

its closest focus it yield about 0.55x.

BTW: For the Nikon 6T (+3) You can always glue a 77mm to 62mm step down ring to it. This way taking it on a off

doesn't

add more time to it. That will be the best bet for the 70-200 and may be why it is so hard to find these days.

Thank you Tommy, that's very helpful. I was drawn to the 500D but I suspect from the figures that I might not get close enough with that one. I know a photographer who routinely uses the Marumi Achromatic (+5) to capture the engraving on the inside of small items like wedding rings, and it seems to work very well indeed, but it's an expensive choice.

Gluing the Nikon filter to a ring sounds like a very good idea, I'll have a look at the prices for that.

Hi Tommy, I know what you mean about e-Bay. Marumi do a standard line and a pro-line, the price of the +5 achromatic is around 170 pounds sterling over here, which is hideously expensive. I just had a look on e-Bay and there are some +3 versions advertised at about 110 usd/55 gbp which is very cheap by comparison but of course may relate to what is really a consumer-grade product, some of the descriptions can be quite confusing.

I'll keep looking for the Nikon one, but so far they seem very scarce.

How about using a canon 250D close up diopter lens? That happens to be an achromatic +4 diopter supplementary lens, which is what I gather you are looking for.

By the way, for equivalent magnification you are probably better of using a smaller diopter number (e.g. a 500D, which is +2 diopter) than a larger diopter number (e.g. 250D, which is a +4 diopter.) This would apply to cases where the focus range between the two choices overlaps. I should say overlapping magnification range rather than overlapping focusing range to be strictly correct, but you get the idea.

Hi Alan, yes, I think the d250 is recommended for lenses from 38-135mm in its description. I'd got it into my head that the

higher the diopter number the easier it would be able to focus and fill the frame with very small objects, depending on which

lens I was using of course. So, it seems the +4 would not be as versatile (in respect to use on my 24-105) or provide a

decent result when on the longer end of the 70-200. I suspect I would mostly use it for capturing engraving details on the

inside of the wedding bands, as well as when I am generally out and about and not wanting to carry a macro lens.

Hi Lindsay,

I've tried out any number of diopters over the years, including the 500D on my 70-200/2.8.

For my money, a set of extension tubes is a better buy and will give better results.

They'll also work on my 24-70, should that lens' macro range not be sufficient.

... but if you are going to start changing lenses in order to make use of extension tubes, you might as well use the 100/2.8 that you already have. The only issue you have seems to be a reluctance to change lenses. Personally, I find I can change lenses in a fraction of the time it takes to fit a 77mm filter without crossing the threads, and the weight of the 500D close-up lens would make fitting that a considerably more delicate business. YMMV, of course.

Hi Alan and Robin, there's no doubt you're right. I think it was a case of finding myself in a 'tight squeeze' last week where

finding a surface and space for a camera bag to make the lens change was a problem (I always need something to set my

heavier lenses on because I've dropped one before). We were sandwiched between some delicately set up tables with only

a few moments to work, which on this occasion did indeed make me nervous about changing lenses. This is not always

what

we

encounter, but it made me think there may be occasional value in one of these filters. And I would have it for personal use

out in the field to save weight in my camera bag. I think I'll try one anyway and see how I get along with it, but I accept that

I may end up ruling it out where quality becomes an issue.