Which Canon film bodies still work?

thomas_sullivan

<p>And, seeing as there are two major film bodies, I would also include the FD system in this discussion. This post is mainly because the Nikon people posted their Which Nikon film bodies still work....and I though there was some pretty good Nikon info in it.</p>

<p>But, I don't shoot Nikon, and ain't switching now........so I thought I'd see what the general thinking on this was. The Nikon people that knew what they were talking about didn't talk about necessarily their own camera, but a more across the board discussion. Meaning, yeah, every model has working cams now...but I'm interested in the ones that as a whole model group have passed the longevity test almost all across the board. If that makes no sense, see the Nikon post and Lex's discusion.</p>

<p>For ref I own the Canon Elan II and the Canon F-1...and am thinking about buying another EOS Canon body in the possible future as I'm not convinced the Elan II is a keeper.</p>

<p>If it makes a difference, I still have my Canon EOS 1.<br>

Works great, other then a non working hot shoe. I don't use it much but I am holding on to it. I still have a roll of slide I do believe, so I need to use it withing the next few months.</p>

<p>Oh, and a 35mm Rebel 2000, saving it for my grand kids or use as a prop/toy in children photography.</p>

<p>As was stated more than once in the Nikon discussion, age really doesn't have that much to do with whether a camera still works -- it's more a matter of how well it's been cared for and how heavily it's been used. Of course there are some issues that relate to time, such as whether it is still possible to obtain compatible batteries, and the old selenium-cell meters may no longer work (and may no longer be accurate even if they do work).</p>

<p>That said, the main issue one encounters with early EOS bodies is that the black foam used as light seals can degenerate into slime, which, if it gets on the shutter, can be a problem. These light seals are easily replaced by a competent camera tech. That aside, I don't think age is a significant issue with EOS cameras given that the EOS system only dates back to about 1986. Provided I could inspect the camera first, or purchase from a reliable source, I would have few worries about buying any Canon SLR going all the way back to 1959.</p>

<p>I have a Canon Elan from the early '90s that still performs flawlessly.</p>

<p>EOS 3</p><p><br></p><p>Just ran an expired roll of Reala through it. Pictures came out perfect, love the ECF and 45 auto focusing points.</p><p><br></p><p>Odd thing is that after each shot, I kept chimping for the missing histogram, and the "memory card" only held 36 shots!</p>

<p>My Elan II which I bought used just to be fair, deteriorated just by sitting in the closet. The Mode switch which controls the frame count, just gave way and I could not fix it. The EOS-3 is a much more rugged camera. If you really want a keeper then go for a an Ae1 or Ae2. </p>

<p>My dad told me I could have his A1 when he dies. Problem is, he's healthy, probably has at least another 40 years in him, and he's a doctor....that being said, I can afford one of my own now. He loved it, still uses it occasionally, and honestly it took great pictures. <br>

It was his love for that camera that probably got me into photography in the first place, and definitely what got me started on the Canon side. </p>

<p>I'm not really sure what you seem to be asking.</p>

<p>However my 1987 EOS650 (the one that started it all, with one horizontal AF point) shot some really nice macro's with my late 2009 Canon EF 100/2.8L IS USM Macro.</p>

<p>All 12 of mine still work - perhaps your question should be Which ones are the best to buy?. this is the question I will answer, starting with the FD series (note FD lenses will not work on EOS bodies - there are adaptors but since they have a glass element the quality is poor unless you find the real Canon one - the Canon Adaptor is rare, expensive and designed for big Teles - all adaptors add about a 1.26x factor)<br>

The F1s of which there are three models F1, F1n (identified by the lever on the front - the F1n has a plastic end to the winder) and the New F1 all are great - the F1 is a manual camera (the EE prism makes it Shutter Priority) while the New F1 can be manual, aperture priority or shutter priority depending on the motor / prism used. All three are loverly to hold and built like no modern camera. The best part is they still take great images. The High speed F1s are realy classics but rare and extremely expensive - 14fps!<br>

The other great FD bodies are the EF (essentially similar to the earlier F1s but with a fixed prism and shutter priority) and the T90. The T90 was a classic and has the same functionality as an EOS body (except for AF). The T90 introduced the shape of all modern cameras.<br>

In the EOS line my favourites are the RT and 1NRS both with the pellicle mirror. the 1NRS was an amazing camera with the fastest shutter respone of any production SLR - 6msec delay - which is 1/10th of the 1DIV. The other good bodies are the 1V (the best film Canon) the 3 and the 1N.</p>

<p>I have three Canons, all mechanical, batteries merely power the meter and are readily *available. Canon P LTM with 50 f2.8; Canon TX with 50 f1.8; Canon F-1n with 50 f1.4 plus other lenses for these cameras. I am and continue as a Leica and Nikon user for many years but FD equipment has become very affordable and I admire the optics and build quality.<br>

*hearing aid zinc oxide to replace mercury button cells with DIY sleeve</p>

<p>Philip....that's kinda what I was after. I guess if I was to explain what I got from the Nikon post, was that all cameras can fail and all cameras can keep working, and yes, the user's handling has something to do with it.....but, certain models had defects from the onset. Hence they have terrible repair and recall histories thru out the entire models existence. While other models have nary a spec of repair problems. I'm looking for the latter. It seems the EOS 3 falls into that category along with the 1 series.</p>

<p>The T90 has the well known "EEEE" error which is caused by failing / dirty shutter magnets. Increasinly difficult to fix due to lack of parts, but avoidable if you exercise the shutter magnets regularly. The LCD also has some leakage problems, which cannot be fixed at all.<br>

The Canon A series has the shutter squeal issue, easily fixed by a CLA.</p>

<p>When the black foam in my 35 year old Canon AT-1 started to deteriorate, and I couldn't find any local facilities to repair and replace, I knew that my AE-1, A-1 & F-1 would soon follow. So that ended my use of the Canon FD system in the mid 90's.<br>

My first EOS (damn Canon for changing the mount) was the Elan 7e, purchased new and still have it. Although a great camera, they are not worth much these days. So, I'll just keep it and pass it on to one of my children when and if they show a genuine interest in photography.</p>

<p>Shortly after I had purchased the 7e, I acquired a "like new" EOS3. I'll keep that one till my days are done, or the 50D, whichever comes first!</p>

<p>So I guess my answer would be; to compliment the F-1, and whatever digital you may have. My vote would be for the Canon EOS3.</p>

<p>I just picked up a roll of film from development and will be scanning this evening. Shot it with my Canon AE1 and 135mm ssc 2.5 lens I love the camera. Its a great compact, combination for shooting portraits I have only had it since two years but the whole package costed under sfr 200 you can't beat that for value for money. Looks and works like new. I got it as I love that focal length for portraits and did not want to fork out for the modern EF version. I also have a 35mm ssc 2.0 for it. Its a great walk about camera with the 35mm lens.</p>

<p>Thomas - the 3 is a great camera - it has eye control a feature you either like or hate (it can be turned off). If you wear glasses to shoot I expect you will not like it - personally I regret Canon never continued to develop it. The 3 is essentially a 1 series in disguise but be aware it has a very loud shutter.</p>

<p>My EOS 500N (Rebel G) and EOS 33 (Elan 7) are still working (500N isn't used any more).<br>

The silent operation of the 33 is still a joy for wild animal photography, despite the problem to get the right films.</p>

<p>I currently use an EOS 630, EOS 5 (European A2E), EOS Elan 7N, and EOS Elan 7NE. I'm not sure about the Rebel series, but as for the EOS professional and semi-professional bodies, my experience is that they just work. Period. Unless you trash them.<br>

I did a ton of professional work with the EOS 630 during the 1990's. That thing is a beast. I'd swear you could use it to hammer nails.<br>

Are there issues with particular bodies? Yes, as there can be with any camera make, but my experience with EOS bodies has been overwhelmingly positive. This is a good place to poke around if you want to know about a particular body: <a href="http://eosdoc.com/manuals/">http://eosdoc.com/manuals/</a><br />Site navigation could be better, but there is a lot of good information.</p>

<p>Photo school I went to still uses AE1's to check out to students. They have at least 20 or 30 of them and they all still work after constant student use. I think generally these older cameras whether Nikon, Canon, Minolta or Pentax still work just fine especially with periodic CLA, replacing foam etc. Some of them are still being used a lot and parts are available for them. But when something does break, often the cost of repair is greater than just finding another used one in working order. So often the question is do you feel enough attachement to a camera to pay more than replacement cost to get if fixed. </p>