Which cameras (and lenses) are you using these days?

mark_pierlot

<p>Since this forum seems to have gone dormant, I thought I might try to wake it up with a little fun.</p>

<p>Although I've been using my DSLRs pretty much exclusively over the past year or so, I'd like to dust off and charge up my Canon 1V-HS and take it for a spin, perhaps with one of my newer EF lenses. I have a few roles of Kodak Ektar 100 in the fridge that need to be exposed, since they've been expired for almost a year.</p>

<p>So what modern film gear are you using these days? Are you finding it more difficult to use your film cameras in our increasingly digitized world? Any thoughts?</p>

It's easy to keep using film too. My rolls

of 35mm from New York went to the

lab and I got nice 6 megapixel scans

that have printed well up to 11x14. The

6x12 film from the Belair can't be

scanned at my lab, so I've had to add

an Epson V500. It works well, just not

as convenient as those Noritsu scans.

<blockquote>

<p>And , no, it isn't any more difficult to use film in a digital world... it's "different" with different benefits and constraints.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>For me, the "lure" of digital is pretty strong. And if I'm going to shoot film, I'm more inclined to use one of my manual focus bodies such as my F-1.</p>

<p>I think my experience is quite common. Just witness the amount of traffic on the Classic Manual Cameras forum compared to this one. If people want to shoot with a modern AF body with all the "bells and whistles," they tend to use their DSLRs rather than their modern film bodies (that is, if they even have any of the latter).</p>

<p>I just purchased a 28-135mm to ride on my 1v since my 24-105 tends to stay on my 7D. I plan to shoot the 1v quite a bit for a while as it's such a joy to use. My problem is that film processing seems to be slowly disappearing in my area, making the whole process a lot more frustrating.</p>

<p>I am using a bunch of film cameras, N90s, N90, Action Touch, Minolta 800si, Canon A2E etc.Lots of fun.</p>

<p>Andy - that 28-135mm IS is a good lens, I used it for a while on my EOS-3, but sold it after it got put on the shelf for a while. These days, my EOS lenses are 28-105 USM, Sigma EX DG 24-70mm 2.8, and snapping sharp Sigma 70-300mm, APO. As far as processing, I experimented with E-6 film a week ago, successfully, much to my surprise, using the 3 step Arista Rapid Kit. Yes, the temps are a PITA to control a bit, but not too bad.</p><div>00bOJ5-522055584.jpg.1833ba317815aab6818bffffb641f7d5.jpg</div>

<p>For a fun and nostalgia, sometime I load a roll of T-Max or Velvia to my Nikon FE-2 or F, ( the last camera I own, the Nikon F5) older is better, and get out to shoot. In Toronto, no problem for development of films. This remind me to scan the last couple of rolls of B&W film I shoot recently.</p>

<p>I do try to use my film gear as much as I can, though my main gear is digital. Right now I have a roll of Ektar 100 in my F3HP, which I carry with 5 primes: 28(2.8)AIS, 35(2)AIS, 50(2)AI, 105(2.5)AIS and the 200(4) AIS. I also have a roll of C41 B&W ASA400 in my F100 with a 28-85 AF zoom in another bag. The Hasselblad is also loaded up with Reala and TMAX. All set to go. Just the progress is very slow. Need more energy, more drive. This thread is good. It gives me a little push to finish the rolls.</p>

<p>I've been shooting with several MFCs; most recently my 1V and a set of T90s. Mostly with Portra 400 and an assortment of B&W films. I picked up the 28-135 IS a few weeks ago but haven't shot with it yet. It currently resides on an Elan 7NE.</p>

<p>I have a 5D that rarely gets used.</p>

<p>I'm going to Death Valley in a couple of weeks. This will probably be an all B & W trip, just 'cause I feel like it.</p>

<p>Haven't decided exactly what to take, but it will probably be my Rolleiflex E Planar, and a Canon T70 to keep the weight down. Lenses for the Canon will probably be something like the 35 T/S and an 85/1.8. I might take something like a 24, but I'm usually not a wide angle kind of guy.</p>

<p>Been a bit too busy to play with a lot of cameras, but my Nikon F4S, recently acquired, is always around, and I never leave home without some kind of little Olympus, usually an XA2. If the weather ever improves I hope to get out with the old Nikon F3, which is loaded with Velvia 100, and get some nice slides again.</p>

<p>I was on the verge of going wholly digital a short while ago and even sold one of two Mamiya 7's. I was scanning medium format transparencies and fell for film again.</p>

<p>Have recently added a Bronica SQB and just got my first five rolls back. Suspect from other posts that film has made something, even if only a muted, comback.</p>

<p>I currently have a Canon F1n and a Canon EOS-1V loaded with Ilford HP5+, a Canon F1 loaded with Tri-X, and a Contax 167MT loaded with Fuji Velvia 100F. This week sometime soon I'll be receiving and testing a Yashica FR I and FRII and a Canon Elan IIe. I'll probably be loading up my Minolta Maxxum 9000 and Nikon F100 soon too.</p>

<p>Most of the time I use the Nikon F3HP. Various lenses. It's a bit easier to use film today as I have scanner so I can see what I get on the negatives before making prints. I can have more instruments to use in the darkroom which were way expensive back in the days. It's a bit more difficult to buy film and have them process as well as buying darkroom supplies when I want to do it myself. In another word, today I have more tools to make film shooting easier but I have difficulty getting consumables. </p>

<p>I just finished up my part of a testing of <a href="/modern-film-cameras-forum/00b7pQ">early AF cameras</a> (1980s mostly), so I've been shooting all kinds of film cameras lately.</p>

<p>My overall, all-time film favorites still remain my old Nikkormat EL and my EOS 3, but there is really hardly any camera I don't love. :|</p>

<p>I've got a Nikon D300 with various full frame G type lenses and a Leica M8 with various leica glass. I just recently purchased a like new Nikon F5 and a new Nikkor 50mm 1.8 G lens. Anxious to finish off the first roll of film. I also have a couple of Nikon EM's that were given to me that came with a vivitar 28mm lens, a 50 f1.8 Series E lens and a mint Sigma 100-300 zoom.</p>

<p>Do I mention my jewel, the Olympus OM-1 & -2? ( 1 -OM1 and 2 OM-2) Zuikos from 21mm to 100mm. When I walking around with those cameras loaded with Velvia or B&W film, I feel like wering a dimond jewelry. And how exciting to get the film developed. Regadless, I using D3s and D4 recently.</p>