Which Camera to Buy? D40 vs. D3000 vs. D5000 vs. D90

chloe_jenning

<p>I bought a nikon d3000 camera one day ago. I wanted to buy the nikon d40, however i ended up buying this one because of the 11 point focus and such and since i would need to go downtown to buy the nikon d40 which is used as a display model. The camera's good and all, i guess. However, i'm second guessing. apparently the d40 is way better but in terms of action shooting? I am a first time dslr user, other than the fact that i played around with my camera for the past day. I'm a quick learner so i don't really need the "easiest" camera around. so i guess i could learn with the d90, if that helps with helping me.<br />I change my mind really quickly when it comes to me buying things. I've read reviews about the nikon d3000 on rockwell, and apparently it's the worst camera to get. so would the nikon d40 be better? I really want an all around camera which is better for sports. i would like to keep it under $1000. I'm more focused on getting winter snowboarding shots, and some indoor arena hockey shots in terms of sports, however i'll most likely be taking photos of friends and such.. I'm not into photography with all the plant photos and such. unless it's landscape pictures of tourism cities and such.<br />now that i'm thinking more about my choices i was thinking between the nikon d40, d3000, d5000, or d90. also the only other (kit lens and ...) lens i'm considering on buying is the 55-200mm VR. so which would be the best camera when it comes to shooting my sports and overall photo shooting with the kit lens and this lense?<br />the nikon d3000 guide doesn't really matter to me. once i learn all of the things i need there is no point of having it there. i will buy a book and go to classes to learn more on how to use my camera, so please just tell me the best camera and if you can give me some tips and such. =) Also i don't want a really bulky camera. like the d3000 body is wonderful. and i'm not thinking on getting any lense bigger than the 55-200. i'm not going pro. these pictures will only be for myself and showing to my friends.<br />sorry that my explanation is messed up. I'm just throwing information here and there</p>

<p>Anike<br>

Since you mentioned that you want to shoot indoors I would go for D3000 or D90 not a D40 that last is a older camera and it's high ISO capability is not as good as the other two.<br>

Also 11 point focus beats 3 point and last D40 is 6MP and D3000 or D90 are 10.2 and 12MP</p>

<p>if I were you I would get D90 for it's ability to focus with older lenses such as 50mm (+/- 100 USD)<br>

and it's ability to handle high ISO better. So if money allows go for D90.<br>

However if you are not going to use AF lenses just get D3000.</p>

<p>also, i would like a camera which i won't have to setup up too long when i need someone else to take a photo of me and/or with my friends. for sports photos i'll set it up for them and let them shoot away. maybe i'm most likely to get people to take pictures of me. =) and i want my mom to be able to use the camera i choose too. so yea. she'll definately be a beginner. =P however, when i know what the photos are for, i'll set it up for her. and maybe eventually she'll learn. doubt it though.</p>

<p>anike, KR is often taken with a grain of salt but it is worth noting he said the d3000 has worse high-ISO performance than the d40, which is a cause of concern for your intended purpose. so you have to balance that with the better AF. for shooting sports indoors our at night, high ISO can be a factor. then again, 3-pt AF can be challenging for objects in motion. bottom line is neither of those entry-level options are ideal for sports.</p>

<p>as for your other options, d5000 would give you both 11-pt AF and much improved high-ISO performance over the d40 and d3000 (and may even be better than d90). except for faster frame rate and video, you wouldnt gain too much for your purposes from upgrading to a d90 from there, and that money would perhaps be better spent on glass.</p>

<p>my suggestion is to go with the d5000 and the 55-200 VR and see how that works for you. if you find yourself needing/wanting faster, wider, or better glass, then you can upgrade at that point. at beginner level,w hen just learning the camera, sometimes its hard to know what your specific requirements will be as far as lenses. i would suggest at least getting an 18-55 for $99 so you have the wide and mid range covered as well as tele.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>We have another member Joe A. who just added a D3000 to an existing D40: <a rel="nofollow" href="../nikon-camera-forum/00UcfD">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UcfD</a><br>

Hopefully Joe can provide some personal experience.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Since you reviewed the D3000, don't you have any feedback for Anike? I know you had a limited amount of time with the camera, but surely you have some thought as to her dilemma.</p>

<p>For me, between the D3000 and the D40, I would get the newer camera. It has a new sensor that more than likely offers better IQ than a D40 (already good IQ) and the CAM1000 AF module is an improvement over the 3-point AF of the CAM530. </p>

<p>That said, in general, the D90 will give you better IQ, probably lower noise (CMOS vs CCD sensor), and much better build quality albeit in a bigger, slightly heavier body. If you can afford a D90, don't think twice about it, get it. Make sure to budget for at least one good lens, a polarizer, and depending on the shooting you do, a good tripod. </p>

<p>I posted the first response to Joe A.'s thread mentioned above. Since I have never actually used the D40, I cannot comment on the D3000 against it in terms of high-ISO results. I suggest people read my response in the other thread. Again, hopefully Joe can post some first-hand experience.</p>

<p>Otherwise, I highly recommend beginners to ignore those nonsense sites.</p>

<p>hello thank you for all the facts and help. don't look at the topic question. i don't know where the d40 or 3000 came from. overall. which of the cameras i mentioned is the best for me.<br>

so i guess, my choices between the d5000 and d90? so let's focus in on those. =)</p>

<p>Since initially you were comparing the D40 vs. D3000, I updated the topic line to those. I have just broadened it again.</p>

<p>If you want to shoot sports, you are much better off with a D300/D300s, but that is over your budget. The D90 is probably your best choice within your list but make sure you have sufficient money on lenses. It is not a good idea to spent most of your budget on the body with little left for lenses.</p>

<p>thank you shun.<br>

i'm not really going into the sports field it'll just be some fun pictures at times and try and get some neat photos of my friends playing and maybe get someone to get some shots of me. but this camera will be used like any person would use a point-and-shoot camera. friend photos and such however, i will change settings and such and hopefully i'll get to the more creative side. =)</p>

<p>thank you shun.<br>

i'm not really going into the sports field it'll just be some fun pictures at times and try and get some neat photos of my friends playing and maybe get someone to get some shots of me. but this camera will be used like any person would use a point-and-shoot camera. friend photos and such however, i will change settings and such and hopefully i'll get to the more creative side. =)</p>

<p>I have just finished reviewing the D5000 for photo.net. The editors are still working on some final touches, but this is what I have to say about the D3000 vs. D5000:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Both cameras have the same AF module, but the D3000 uses an older 10MP CCD sensor that is similar to the ones on the D200, D80, and D60. That CCD sensor typically provides one fewer stop of high-ISO capability. E.g., ISO 800 on the D3000 should give you similar results as ISO 1600 on the D5000. Additionally, the D5000 has the following extra features over the D3000:</p>

<ul>

<li>Live View</li>

<li>Movie Mode</li>

<li>Swivel LCD, at a slightly smaller 2.7". The D3000 has a fixed 3" LCD.</li>

<li>More Custom Settings</li>

</ul>

<p>The D3000 is very small and has the bare minimum controls. It does have a Guide mode to help beginners learn how to use that camera. The D5000 is a bit larger, has a newer improved sensor, and has more custom settings.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D5000 is a nice camera all around for a DSLR beginner, and is one that you can grow with. It is a nice size, has great battery life, is capable of making very nice images, and if you want to hand it off to someone to take pictures it will work capably on the green auto setting too. I bought one in May, and it has not yet given me any buyers remorse, just nice well exposed images. Try one!</p>

<p>anike, the d90 is "better" than the d5000, but not by a whole lot. it's a camera that perhaps you won't get tired of a year or two down the line, as would possibly be the case with a d40 or d5000. it adds an internal motor, faster fps, and two control dials. i wouldnt hesitate to grab it if its within your bidget. but if its not, the d5000 so far has gotten good notices.</p>

<p>Anike,<br>

Best is to first get to know that D3000 which after 1 day has not revealed its mysteries yet. It's completely silly to go from a $500 camera after one day up to a $1000 camera because some reviews make you wonder the previous $500 camera might have been better. Seriously. Stop. Think for a minute.<br>

Grab the D3000. Go out, shoot. Enjoy how much nicer a viewfinder works than a crappy LCD screen at arms lenght. Discover whether you will need a 55-200VR (answer is likely to be "yes"). Discover what effects which settings have. Learn to work with your camera.</p>

<p>Buying another camera does not make any sense at all at this point. 1 day ownership of a DSLR - to put it very rude: what do you know about your camera so far? So how can you judge any of its qualities?</p>

<p><em>(sidenote: I've owned a D80 which is technically very close to the D3000. Great camera. Fine ISO800 performance, which the D3000 should be able to improve on being 3 years newer. Good AF system for nearly all occassions - good solid allround performer)</em></p>

<p>You already have the D3000 so I would study the manual and learn how to use it. All cameras will give you excellent results if you no what what your doing, and some require a little more post prossing then others.<br>

There is not a camera out there that someone has not complained about, sometimes valid but most of the time not. The perfect camera will never exist although a few come close.<br>

Bad pictures are usually operator err not the camera so don't worry about Thinking you made a bad choice, just have fun learning and enjoy your new camera.<br>

<a href="http://www.slopoki1.smugmug.com/">http://www.slopoki1.smugmug.com/</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>For heavens sake...stop reading reviews and go out and shoot. Have a look at the photos on the selection on this PN site home page...Scroll down on each and see the modest cameras that are used to create these images and understand that the D3000 is fine and you will be pressed to exceed its capability with your skill. Just get on with it and be satisfied with what you have.</p>

<p>D3000 = D40/D40X/D60 with much improved AF. <em>Nothing wrong with it at the price point</em> .</p>

<p>D5000 = D90 with the best (most costly) features ripped out, yet it's pretty expensive.<br /> Compared to D90 you lose prism viewfinder, ability to autofocus with all Nikon AF lenses, 920k display, battery life and DoF preview.</p>

<p>are there any cameras out there that are just like the d90 except without the video and live view. because i would definitely buy it if it weren't for those two pricey features. i would get the d5000 but i don't like the rotating screen and the d3000 is very noisy.</p>

<p>gosh i think i'm starting all over again. i don't mind the d40, however i wonder if it would focus well enough for my hockey and snowboarding shots. the 3000 isn't bad however the noise is alittle high. i want the d90 but then i don't. the live view and movie seems interesting for times i might actually use them. however, since it's just been introduced there might be new ones coming out soon so it would be a waste, however i kind of need a camera now. and i'm not so sure of the d5000. same thing as the d90 and i guess an added plus when it comes to the rotating screen just incase, during concerts, i can hold my camera over my head and snap some pictures. =)<br>

oh gosh. help. i guess the nikon d3000 is not so bad, but was it really worth my money? i payed $589+tax. and the d40 is only $399. but i think i'll get bored of the camera in a year when all the cameras will have movie and live view. this is such a hard decision.</p>