Which camera should I use for 4 day trip

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' started by bob_r|3, Jun 10, 2016.

1. I'm going to be in Manhattan for 4 days fairly soon. I'll be doing street and architecture shots.
    I need to choose between a Fujifilm X100 or a Lumix G7 Mirrorless. The Fuji I've used quite a bit, the Lumix I'm still learning [just got a deal on an open box], but I'm liking its movable viewfinder.
    Is there enough reason to choose the Lumix over the X100 - to spend time pushing myself to learn the Lumix.

2. I would personally go with the Fujifilm, but that could be because I am more in favor of the ergonomics of the camera, I'm sure either would work just fine and the differences aren't too great

3. If you have time to sit down with the new camera and a manual, an holiday is a good time to relax and learn something new. You can't go too far wrong if you check (chimp) the results and they look okay. Even a business trip usually means long hours in an hotel room.
    If you are squeezed for time, or are visiting a place you can't return to soon, take the camera with which you are most comfortable.

4. you dont say what lenses you have for the G7, so i'll assume 14-42 kit? personally, i would go with the x100. better lens, faster aperture, 1/2000 X-sync (vs. 1/160), and physical controls. G7 would be a better choice for video, though.

5. The Fuji I've used quite a bit​

You said "soon". You have your answer. The one you know.

6. If you want your pictures to be part of your record, use the camera you're familiar with. Otherwise, as Edward said, the trip could be a good way to learn the new camera.

7. Being a New Yorker I know how quickly the shot moves past. I would suggest the Fuji, as you are most comfortable with it. You mention architecture - if you are going to walk around with a tripod and must have a wider lens, then the other, although I think the Fuji is fine for both (I have an X100T)

8. Given your scenario, I would take the X100, due to your familiarity with it.

9. I don't see why you can't find room for two small cameras. Take both, you should always have a backup on a trip anyway.

10. I agree with Sanford, they are 2 small cameras so bring both. For me a fixed 35mm (FF FOV) is too
    limiting for NYC architecture, so for outdoor photos I would prefer the kit zoom on the Lumix.

11. the X100 is close to the perfect camera for street photography. the original model is still a bit quirky even with the firmware updates, sometimes the OVF works better than the EVF for focus acquisition for some reason, but other than that, it's really a fun camera to use. depending on your perspective, a fixed 35mm is either limiting or liberating. i can see where having a zoom might be nice, but personally i would want something a bit longer than the kit zoom. i also wouldnt want to break in a new body while on the road, but YMMV.

12. I would recommend a DSLR, small and easy to carry on your trips. The Canon EOS Rebel T3i for example helps photographers who are looking for an easy-to-use camera to create their next masterpiece. Check the short review where you can find all the specifications: http://dslrcamerapro.com/canon-eos-rebel-t3i-review-specifications-dslr-camera/
    Good luck!

13. So, Correo, you joined Photo.net just today so you could troll-post with a spambait link for a wanna-be review site you may possibly be affiliated with? Not super-ethical. Also, the OP already has two cameras. why would he need a third?