Which bundled Canon software can I delete?

al_smith9

In loading the CD with Canon software onto the computer I have a whole bunch there I do not use. How much of it is

necessaary?

I use Zoom Browser EX for quick edit and a quick sharpness check as it shows the large thumbnails clearly on the

computer.

I use Digital Photo Professional for opening RAW images and saving so I can then open them in Photoshop. For some

reason CS2 does not open them without first going through the DPP program.

Those are the only two I use. There are a whole host of other Canon programs of some sort on the computer and I do not

remember ever using them. Tried the photo stitch but on anything with fine detail it proved worthless. I use a commercial

program for that instead and have deleted the Canon program.

What other Canon programs can I get rid ot?

I do not hook the camera to the computer. I take the Compact Flash card out and insert that into the computer and

download the photos into my 'picture' folder before anything else. I cannot see ever hooking the camera up to the computer.

So, can anyone put down a list of what can be deleted so I can free up some hard drive space on the computer?

I use CS3 but greatly prefer DPP for RAW conversion over ACR. For some reason Adobe's apps are unable to read the

custom parameters I set on my 5D and 40D and it takes too long to try to recreate in ARC. DPP opens them as defaults and

saves a few dozen mouse clicks.

"So, can anyone put down a list of what can be deleted so I can free up some hard drive space on the computer?"

Sounds like you need a new hard drive. For $100 you can buy a bare 1TB SATA drive. Or buy an external FW or SATA drive

and move you data off the main drive, leaving more room for apps. Deleting EOS Utility & PictureStyle Editor will hardly

make any difference.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Per Puppy Face, new drives are *very* cheap right now. Getting rid of a few small programs is not going to help that

much. One thing that's bugging me is your repeated use of the term "delete". Be sure if you're removing programs to

do it through Windows's "Add/Remove Programs" function. It's in Control Panel. Simply deleting program directories

will very likely cause problems.

Regarding new drives: I'm just formatting the second of two 500gb drives I purchased yesterday for $72Can each.

You need to use Windows XP's:

Start|Programs|Administrative Tools|Computer Mangagement|Disk Management

function to get the new drive initialized and formatted. Just go with the defaults. You also need to be semi-competent

at opening up the case, installing and connecting drives. While you've got it open, blow all the dust out (outside),

paying particular attention to the fans and power supply. Goes without saying but: be sure to unplug the power

supply completely from the computer, and wait a full minute before opening it up. And whenever handling drives or

the computer, touch your hands to the case before touching anything else, to dispel static.

You may need to chase down patch cables for power supplies: the newer sata drives have changed their plug

designs. Also, you need to verify up-front just what format of drives are compatible with your system. It's best to deal

with a comptent clone builder when purchasing. Alternately, you just let them install the drives for you.