do you think will be in production until the end of time, as we know

it? Your input may help me adopt a film and stick with it (usually a

good course of action) without fear that it too will someday

disappear. Thanks, Bob.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me look into my crystal ball..........hmmmmmmmmm.....it says, not Kodak, not Agfa, not Fuji, not Ilford. Honestly, I'd pick a third party type film if I never wanted to change again. I think the odds are actually better on them sticking around awhile. I just started using Foma exactly for that reason.....but, still intend at looking at others. The reason I chose Foma to start with, is because it is actually a pretty big name in C.R., and with Prague being a recent out from being the iron curtain city that has a large art community, I thought it might have a good chance at longevity. But, that is just my own personal guess.

I would hope the BIG guys Kodak and Fuji would reward customer loyalty by continuing to manufacture film. The people who have film cameras will not want to throw them in the bin, cameras are masterpieces of engineering and electronics. We may end up with one company making everything to cater for all things related to the wet proccess. MMMmmmmmm Rayco chemicals is up for sale in the UK, if I won the lottery perhaps I could have a dabble and buy the bits Ilford dont want combine it with Rayco and call the company Rayford. Hey we can all dream can't we.

I'll agree with Thomas. Honestly, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Fuji bowed out now. I love them for color but the only B/W product of theirs I like is Acros.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd actually expect Kodak to bow out before Ilford (I know this goes against popular opinion but I've never trusted popular opinion) and when Ilford finally goes, expect there to be a handful of the smaller companies manufacturing film.

I'd also expect the prices to begin going up exponentially. For now, I'll stick to Ilford and experiment with other films from smaller manufacturers. Hopefully, I'll find something I find comparable (hell, maybe better) before my favorite film company cuts production.

Efke or Lucky (do they do b/w?); anyway, it would be someone like that whose bottom line isn't necessarily money. Look at all the films that have been chopped. Pan-x, APX25, K25, etc. Read the forums about folks still screaming for these films. Sure, they don't make *as much* money as they used too, but I bet they could still turn a profit. The profit just isn't enough for the big guns.

Be flexible. As long as there's a demand, there will be someone out there willing to make a buck. I actually think Kodak, Ilford and the others (if they can manage to stay in business at all) will still be selling some types of black and white film for a long time. The price we will have to pay will probably be staggering compared to what we pay now.

The only advice I feel inclined to give is...don't waste your time trying to predict which film will be the last film standing.

One can easily eliminate any type of film producer as a "safe" long-term choice with the quickest of analyses. For example:

- Lucky: Film will become a niche product and the Chinese will have no interest in producing merchandise with a declining market size.

- European Boutiques: Cost of capital will skyrocket once they adopt the EMU. Regulatory costs are already skyrocketing with adoption of certain EU environmental regs.

- Fuji/Kodak/Agfa: Once depreciation of existing film production equipment no longer adds to cash flow, there's no incentive to chase pieces of a shrinking pie.

I say pick what you like and use it while you can. There's no point in trying to outsmart the market.

Somebody will be making a T grain film for a long time, and I would guess that Delta 100 will survive.

I would also guess that Tri-X would survive, although I, too, prefer Neopan 400 to it.

Efke will be cranked out as long as they can keep the Adox machinery going. That might be another century!

I hope Delta 400 is around in 30 years (and that I am, too!)

Good shooting

/s/ David Beal * Memories Preserved Photography, LLC

I suspect if Kodak goes out of B&W, their last film in production will be Tri-X. I can't see Fuji outliving them with B&W. Efke may stick around as long as they fix the small problems with their films. Ilford- I can't say. Its safe to say the remaining film will be a 400 speed.

Guys;

Here is my prediction.

Film will be made by a small multinational conventional photographic product company organized by former film company employees and called Kofugilfa. It will have very very small plants located in Rochester, Ashigara, Outside London, and Leverkusen. (the one outside London will be a tiny plant which is an amalgamation of two former plants once located in the general area). The plant in Ashigara will be suplimented by a subsidiary plant outside Hachioji which will make alcoholic beverages for photographic enthusiasts. It will be called Konisky. (BTW, this is an inside joke for those in the industry - try to figure this one out if you can.)

Kofugilfa will also make color film and B&W film on request for a nominal fee. The requests they expect are for example, "Minus X" and "PanNuclear X" films. "Teck Ortho" is another, along with the always popular "Corrodachrome" color film. They also will make an export film for Russia called "Cossackchrome". It will only made in spy film sizes, and also will be available as a version sensitive to X-Rays. None of their films will have a speed over ASA 25 and they will be coated on nitro cellulose. Sales are expected to be popular with terrorist groups. They are developing an amateur line of products with the flagship film to be made at Leverkusen and to be named "Auf Color or Auf Farbe" whatever. The Japanese version will be "Iro nashi de", and the colors of the Rochester product will match those seen on a typical Rochester summer day.

They will have a complete line of processing chemicals which will be useful for also making explosives and designer drugs. Kits will contain most EPA forbidden chemicals 'just for kicks' says the owner George Westlady. He plans expansion of the company as soon as he finishes his current guest residency at Fort Levenworth. He plans on headquartering the plant in a secret location in Montana. Sorry, I meant 'yet to be announced location'.

For instant camera enthusiasts, they will make a film that is halfway between the capabilities of the in-camera films of the previous big mfgrs. As such, they will label it Hemiroid. After all, it will strain their ability to make it, so why not.

Those are my predictions for the film industry in the year 2055.

Ron Mowrey

>>Sure, they don't make *as much* money as they used too, but I bet

they could still turn a profit.

Sorry, Jim, but that doesn't even begin to cut the mustard.

Basic Corporate Finance 101:

Any money invested has to generate Equity-Value-Add that meets or exceeds some pre-determined ROI calculated by that investor - or it must be given back (i.e. investor dumps the investment).

Being able to eke out just isn't sufficient. Wish it were...

I suspect by 2050 all films will be outlawed and only outlaws will own film. :P

Film speed- 6 ASA. Microfilm sizes. By then digital corps will stamp out film companies blocking any production coming into the country. All customs will be ordered to Super Nuke Xray the film passing through. Anyone caught developing film will be put in jail for 2 years. :P

Seriously -will we be around to see films final days? I doubt it.

Kodak Tri-X. It's been around in roll and 35mm sizes since 1954 and sheet film since 1940. Although Plus-X has been around even longer, I think Tri-X will outlive it. When Tri-X finally goes to halide heaven, photographers all over the world will hoist their darkroom aprons up the flagpole to half mast position.

My votes go to Al and Rowland for the best responses. Both of Al's repsonses reflect reality while Rowland's had me rolling on the floor.

That great philosopher, Alfred E. Newman, summed it all up. "What, Me worry?" While changing favorite films is a PITA, we've all done it on many occasions.

Thanks to Thomas Sullivan for his trust in FOMA, a Czech film many Czech photographers loathe. My opinion is that when the market opened after 1989, people started to search for something better and special and sticking with a traditional brand was out of fashion. Honestly, I think Foma is able to produce quality materials as well as a wide range of chemistry. I am not sure what the future brings, but I hope they will keep this up.