Which 50mm Lens for Bokeh

richard jepsen

I am leaning towards a black M-mount 50mm purchase to shoot B&W. Smooth out of

focus transitions are important to me. Raw speed is not, as long as f/2.8 is

usable. Flair resistance is a plus. I'm not interested in an asp lens.

Should I look for a Lux 1114, Cron 11817, Konica KM, or early/new Elmar f/2.8?

I would vote for the 11817 'cron, as it is the best I've ever seen for the price. It's my favorite of the 50mm 'crons and aside from the newest 50 'lux (which I've never used) the best 50mm Leica--except for the newer Elmar (which I like especially for color transparency).

Next would be the Rigid model. It gives a terrific tonal range for black and white.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Richard, you said that flare resistance is important. With that in mind, I would not get the 11817. Although I have this lens and like it, flare resistance is not its strong point. Since you included the Lux in your list of possibilities, I think you should consider it. Its flare resistance is well known, and the out of focus transition is quite good as well. Pretty much what Jerry said, actually. I have both these lenses, and can vouch for the Lux meeting your specification. With the 11817 and the Rigid (I have the DR, which is optically identical), you will encounter flare, both in the form of veiling and color blotches, in the presence of strong backlight.

Others, who have experience with the Cosina-Voigtlander lenses, may be able to tell you that one or more of them will meet your requirements. Perhaps the 50mm f/1.5, as it has a good reputation in general. However, I do not own any C-V lenses, so I can't tell you about them from first-hand experience.

This might be a slight non sequitor. I had the pre-ASPH 'lux and sold it to aquire the ASPH. Since I project our slides, IMO, there's a difference in bokeh for what you see in prints and what attracts your attention when projected. In projection, bokeh takes second place to resolution, contrast and color accuracy (P2002, SupercColorplan 90 f2.5). The ASPH is a better lens for projected chromes.

George (The Old Fud)

Thanks for your responses. I'm leaning towards a type II Lux or newer Elmar. Charts indicate the Elmar is sharper at f/2.8 than the Lux at f/1.4 or 2.0. Also a used lastest Elmar should be 3 or 4 hundred dollars less than an older Lux. Can anyone comment on the finger print of the non asp Lux and Elmar f/2.8?? Again, speed is not important as long as f/2.8 is usable.

My Canon f1.2 50mm is my "Bokeh" lens at 1.2, 1.4 and 2.0 the bokeh is superb - good structure, creamy smooth and resolves enough detail. Mine came with a fitted M mount and it's very good in the hand and not too hard to focus at f1.2 on my M7.

I bought it in mint condition after trying much more expensive 'luxes and Summarits that just did not appeal to me.

depends on what you photograph. In lower light levels its not useable unless you're okay w/ fast film 400+.

For me, the 2.0 is the slowest I can live with. I shoot K64, 100, and recently bumped up to 160NC.

IMO the Konica, while excellently fabricated, does not match any of the newer Leica 50mm. As a small time buyer/trader (250+) I believe the newer Cron versions (pre asph) are at fire sale prices and the direct decendant of what many believe to be the all time best standard lens.