Which 35mm Developer is Right for You?

Thanks for posting these!

Nice article on developers - several of these are still around, as also newer versions of some films. This is an ur-Massive Development Chart, quite useful for understanding references in old articles.

The trade fairs were trending on automation, the Retina Reflex was out, as well as several "3" in the ads: Retina IIIC, Konica III, Leica IIIg and Nikon S3. This could have been one of the last RF-dominated years.

I hated mixing D76 and Microdol (and Kodak fixer), the powder sometimes blew around when we poured it in. plew So we had to mix it in the classroom or better yet, outside.

And we sometimes had trouble getting the powder to disolve into solution, so we used warmer water than what was on the instructions.

HC-110 was neater and easier to mix.

The long shelf life of HC110 concentrate makes sense for occasional users. Back in the day when I processed film every day or two I could always use up D-76 (or Microdol-X or DK-50) long before it went bad.

If one lives in an area where it is difficult to get D-76 it is possible to mix it from raw ingredients.