Which 28mm LTM/M lens do you recommend?

<p>I'm looking for a 28mm lens. I have this focal length for my SLR BUT it is too difficult for me to focus, it is not that good optically IMO, and it is too large. I want to sell it and my SLR system to b honest.<br>

<br /> I prefer lenses that are small, sharp, close-focusing (0.7m) and excellent for b&w (low contrast). I don't mind flare and I prefer chrome/silver lenses cosmetically (not a deal breaker though). I'm uncertain on my budget but I'd pay more $$$ if it is worthwhile...no more than $1k but preferably less. I may not be able to hit all this but I'd like to see my options.<br>

<br /> I'm not so sure about the reputation of the Leica but it seems that they don't make one that "matches" my lineup (35mm f2.8 Summaron, 50mm f2.0 DR Summicron, 90mm f2.8 Elmarit)<br>

<br /> Any thoughts on lenses that fit this criteria? As you can see I'm giving up speed since you can't have fast + small + affordable.</p>

<p>If you would have asked for a 28 to complement your elmars 3,5 cm 5cm and 9cm I would have said get the old Hektor or Summaron (if you can find one). But for your line up I would suggest that the elmarit-M is the best match, IMHO. <em>In fact it matches the contrast and sharpness of your elmarit 90 perfectly.</em></p>

<p>I heartily recommend the Voigtlaender 28/3.5 - Tiny, sharp, and focuses to 0.7 meters. And not expensive, either :-)<br /><br />I have only ever used it on B/W film - as I assume that you will ?? For my Minolta CLE review here on Photo.net, I used the following picture to show the diminutive size: http://www.photo.net/photo/7022411<br /><br />My other (primary) lenses are a 1960 Elmar 50/2.8 and an even older Summarit 50/1.5, and I find that they go well together. Subjective, of course.<br /><br />This travel gallery from China (22 images) was shot entirely with the Voigtlaender 28/3.5 and my M3, fitted with the (also brilliant) Voigtlaender metal finder: http://www.imagepro.dk/China_2012/<br /><br />Hope this helps :-)<br /><br />Soeren<br /><br /></p><div>00bT1p-526507584.jpg.41ec2fb60d1f394b05904d9a3fe063d6.jpg</div>

<p>The Canon 28/3.5 also has a fine reputation. Noted for sharpness but with modest contrast.<br>

Opinions on the Canon 28/2.8 appear to differ. Some like it, some think it's unsharp.<br>

Both of these Canon lenses only focus to 1 meter.<br>

The Leica Hektor and Summaron are collector-priced. (That is, their price does not reflect their functionality as much as their rarity.)</p>

<p>Leica Elmarits: I believe that they are all large aside from the non-asph versions, correct? <br>

Leica Hektor and Summaron: I had the impression that they are collector pieces too.<br /><br />I'm leaning on the Canon and Skopars at the moment, maybe if I find a good deal. The skopars seem not too easy to find but I haven't searched very hard. No clue on the canon's. I know winogrand used a canon though (f2.8 version, I think). Between the f2.8 and f3.5 versions, is the f3.5 usually considered to be the better lens? I'd realistically use this stopped down mostly. </p>

<p>Michael - The aspherical 28 is the smallest of the lot, very sharp and very contrasty. The elmarit-M is the 'largest' of the pre-aspherical. Compared to their Japanese contemporaries the leica lenses aren't really that large. You haven't told us of your intentions or special interests. If you want the lens for landscape the elmarit-M will not let you down. For street or portrait photography I would prefer the VC lenses to the earlier non-asph. elmarits. I have no experience with the older canons other than the black 35/2 which is a stellar performer.</p>

<p>My Canon 28, 2.8 is sharp at the centre, pretty ordinary at edges at full aperture. It's sharp enough at f5.6 & smaller, and it's seriously compact, pocketable and light for something all brass & glass.<br>

That said, it's my only 28, & I do drag it around with me. The front lens is deep set enough to dispense with a hood most of the time, and it hasn't developed any mould or other contrast reducing defects in the 20 years or so I have had it.<br>

Its closest focus, however, is 1m. It was not expensive, I think Canon RF lenses are still undervalued, but haven't tried buying for a few years, and then it was 135 & 90s which are popular & less expensive anyway.</p>

<p>At the time of LTM lenses, aside from a few modern Soviet ones, a 28mm wide angle was really very wide angle. As a result they almost all, not just the Leica ones, were expensive new. They haven't got any cheaper lately.</p>

<p>With Soviet LTM lenses, aside from possible focus inconsistencies, be sure you confirm that they are not the Zenit SLR lenses that have an entirely different flange distance.</p>

<p>The current Elmarit 28mm/2.8 ASPH is quite compact (the smallest currently made Leica M lens) and excellent optically. It is only made in black. The Zeiss 28mm/2.8 Biogon ZM is almost as good but bigger, though not huge at all, and comes in silver or black.</p>

<p>Pierre: The white spots don't affect the resulting image in most cases. This is what I have seen in many postings online about this issue. In my lens, there are few white spots, and I do not see any degraded contrast or flare. The Rokkor is of same optical quality as the 28mm Elmarit of its time period. It is a very high quality lens. It is a small lens and this is a big plus for it. As for getting a modern CV lens instead, I got a CV 25 lens, and last week I got a 21mm CV lens.</p>