Where's your pleasure?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Julie H, Oct 8, 2017.

1. I would never equate ambiguity in art with postmodernism. Postmodernism is quite transparent is what it purports to be as an ideology.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. One can be quite transparent in appearing ambiguous.

3. I associate postmodernism with skepticism and deconstruction.

I agree with you, Supriyo, that ambiguity can be transparent. I think ambiguity is about inexactness, lack of clarity, openness to a variety of interpretations, and in some cases double or multiple meanings. But it's not necessarily opaque, even if it can be at times.

4. Any decent postmodernist would suggest challenging the assumptions in this statement. I think it may be a particular kind and style of "contemporary art discourse" that does not thrive here. Some of the subjects and ideas, if introduced and dealt with differently, might well thrive here.

5. It's the postmodern drivel and dogma that truth is nothing but a construct and that all constructs are equal (except for the postmodernist's one of course which is always held to be superior) what's to be skeptical about. The pervasiveness of postmodern thinking has turned into a cancer in today's culture. Anyone who doesn't by now realize that much is living in a bubble.

6. Sometimes you make an image and you immediately know that you got something, the image seems to scream at you. Such images may give the most aesthetic pleasure initially but they rarely make for the most interesting pictures. It's when the image only slowly makes itself visible to me, if it does so at all completely, that I find more interesting. I often discover new images from pictures made months or years ago and which can feel like looking at a stranger's photographs not being sure why the photographer took the picture. So I look at it, and then I look some more until I see it, as if being remembered by my past self who took the picture. The below image is such an image for me, one that didn't scream but whispered but there's no ambiguity in its whisper, I can hear it very clearly.

window.jpg

7. "Sometimes you make an image and you immediately know that you got something, the image seems to scream at you". Phil.

Nice verbosity ,Phil.

Screaming methinks not. Sorry. Not even a silence.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  8. Perhaps a silent scream of the lonely.

9. muse.jpg

Norman 202 likes this.
  10. Cool photo, Phil which hits the mark.

11. paul ron

paul ron NYC

I think artists have huge egos that require alot of feedback. Im not talking about your typical self absorbed ego.... its one that just needs constant praise for his creations to quench an apatite, a full feeling when you get that WOW moment.... that certain shot you love so much. it has to be shared in search of admirers, its our food n sustenance to see a nice comment. Even the fact someone just looked at it is enough to keep the pilot flame lit. Your reward for the hard work put into creating something.

12. While I am probably not an artist, I have interacted with a few who are. Yes, many artists like to share their creations, and some of them might find solace in a ‘wow’ comment or two. However, to say that their pleasure lies in the appeasement and likings from their admirers is a sheer injustice in my opinion. What many artists would appreciate is a deeper understanding of their work beyond a generic ‘great’ or ‘wow’ comment, a connection with the viewer that gives a sense of thought resonance. That’s my reading after speaking with a few real artists. Many of them are on a lifelong quest to express and understand, and their motivation in sharing their work with viewers lies in the hope that it would enrich at least a few of them and let them think from alternateve viewpoints. A simple ‘wow’ or ‘great’ is a cue to end the conversation and move on.

13. And why would they be more artists than you are or could be? Maybe simply because they're acting like one.

You mean professional artists? I know some. Can't hold a candle to my imagination (I'm a volcano compared to some...wet blankets...and that's what it takes to be an artist, you have to command it in your bones and soul, and not just go through all the motions of what "real artists" are supposed to do or say).. So who is the real artist?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  14. At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet
    And a freight train running through the
    Middle of my head
    Only you can cool my desire
    I'm on fire

^ that's the Muse Bruce is talking about. Art is never about pleasure, it's about unfulfilled desire.

15. Funny that you put those words in my mouth. I was in fact trying to distinguish between the two crowds, ones that are dedicated to their quest, and the others that pretend to. The ones that pretend to (in my opinion) seek after praises and admiration more than the other crowd. Not saying that great artists don't appreciate admiration, but their work is much more to them than praises. You seem to be stuck on the word 'real' and missed the rest of my comment. If you go back and read, my guess is, you will find more common ground between us than you think.

16. "If looking at photographs is a pleasurable activity, it is pleasurable in a complex, transformative, frequently unsettling sense. It is not pleasure unalloyed, for no profound pleasure is pure...Like many truly enriching pleasures...photography has its dark, troubling, even dangerous aspects."

- Gerry Badger, The Pleasures of Good Photographs

17. Since I'm a mere amateur with questionable "talent", no audience and a rather monotonous life, my pleasure is in finding something that is worth clicking and in interacting with a machine to make that exact click.