• South America
    • Europe/Scandanavia
    • England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland
    • Australia/New Zealand
    • Pacific Bordering Countries
    • India/South Asia/Middle East
    • Russia/China
    • Other

The country I currently live in is almost unrecognizable to me, especially today. So, it's with shame and disgust that I won't even speak its name ...

<snip>

Sadly, Sam, I think that applies to many of us, at least those of us 'rich in years' (I am 71). Even nostalgia is not what it used to be.

• Like 5

Rather odd grouping and divisions in that list. The UK is part of Europe. Ireland is too, but is not part of the UK. Scandinavia too is Europe. And Russia.

Canada is in North America. Countries bordering the pacific are many, including quite a few of the ones mentioned as a separate choice.

The country I currently live in is almost unrecognizable to me, especially today. So, it's with shame and disgust that I won't even speak its name ...

Yeah, it's an nasty place over two million people risked their lives to enter this year.

• Like 2

What we have is a Constitutional Republic. When one side "wins" the other throws a tantrum. At the foundation of it all is the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Those that find the system or the country distasteful have the freedom to work for change within the system or go elsewhere. There have been several administrations I disliked heartily, but I always loved my country and never thought of leaving.
  • Like 5

I won’t disparage my homeland but will say we just spent a week on a tiny Grecian island in the southern Aegean Sea. It was lovely and good to be “away” -even if for a short moment.

Taking a break from one’s home country, is, imo, an excellent way to gain much needed perspective - more so, in unsettling times

Edited by Ricochetrider

I know these threads tend to wander but it would have been nice if it had stayed on theme. I for one would have liked to have information on the geographical make up of members. But I agree the options available needed more thought. But thank you Papa Tango for starting it. Edited by Gerald Cafferty
  • Like 2

I always loved my country

Yeah, it's an nasty place over two million people risked their lives to enter this year.

I won’t disparage my homeland.

I have unconditional love for my parents, siblings, and a few special friends. Maybe the Golden State Warriors at the moment! My country, an artificial creation from the beginning as all countries are, not so much. It may be a place a lot of people much worse off want to live, but that offers little solace to me who sees it going back to the dark ages. Plenty of people wanted to live in high flying Berlin in the 1930s and lots of patriots professed unwavering allegiance to their fatherland … at what price? To each their own.

holocaust-memorial-bw_0577-2-ww.thumb.jpg.53c5aa4801a5af7ac27e1bb1403ae71b.jpg

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

I feel it's a shame that a gentle query concerning the geographical location of members has deteriorated into mere political squabbling. Can we all agree to differ on the various merits and otherwise of the decision making bodies associated with each country, state or whatever, and return to the original intent of this thread ? After all, trees grow, rain falls and the sun shines no matter who is in power - and are far more photogenic subjects.

Tony (with a combination of German, Irish and Welsh ancestry !)

• Like 4

Drawing a distinction between the english speaking countries and the rest of Europe does make some sense, given that this is an anglophone forum.

Personally, I'm in Corrèze, France where it is currently raining, a lot. Which is not much fun, as I'm covering a music festival (Nuits de Nacre, Tulle) this weekend...

• Like 5

Can we all agree to differ on the various merits and otherwise of the decision making bodies associated with each country, state or whatever, and return to the original intent of this thread ?

You must be a dreamer....

What, by the bye, WAS the "original intent" ???

I just assumed it was trying out the "questionaire/survey" function.:rolleyes:

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 2

Oh Boy! :p

Of all the directions I thought this poll/thread might go, this was not even remotely one of them...

@q.g._de_bakker , yes it is a strange grouping. Xenforo (the discussion platform we are on) allows an 'out of the box' maximum default of up to10 questions. I confess a portion of Amerocentric bias in how the group was constructed. It was also heavily informed by taking a casual note of where our members are over the years. This is why we have the category "England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland" stated that way. Ireland is an island. As this is nothing but a casual and flawed survey--we are not really interested in what governmental entity of Ireland we are looking to garner information about. England is on an island, along with Scotland. While the island is called Great Britain and is still bled of blood and treasure by the masters of the United Kingdom, my Scot-Irish ancestors would be dismayed to think of their native soil as anything aside from what it culturally and historically is. But enough of that as this gets the idea across. The groups are geographic/cultural clusters of which I think a significant number of our membership exists. Interestingly enough, the groups also mimic the Y-DNA Haplogroup model of the world, except for the Russa/China one. I lumped them together because the people who run their governments are oppressive dicks. :eek:

But meanwhile back at the GOAT farm, yes it is still a survey about where we are, and the groupings do serve to advise us of where significant numbers of members are located. I am surprised that someone in PN authority has not come along with a splintered ruler and smacked our collective knuckles... o_O

Edited by PapaTango
  • Like 3

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!