Where to save images

I just bought a Western Digital My Book 500 GB external hard drive for about $180, and love it so far. WD's dependability is well documented, it's truly plug-and-play, and it's really quite small - approx. 7" x 5" x 2" - so you could travel with it if needed.

I just bought a 4GB Kingston elite pro CF card for $25 (after rebate). At these prices I'm not sure that buying portable storage devices makes a hugh amount of sense anymore.

However you can get a number of integrated hard/drive-card reader portable storge units for under $200 with a capacity of 40GB. It cheaper than buying multiple cards, but larger, heavier and consumes power.

Just how many images would you likely shoot on Holiday?

For simple storage (rather than storage on the road without a laptop), I'd use DVDs and make at least two copies of each disk in case of failure. See http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/archival_storage.html

I use an Epson P2000 in conjunction with flash memory cards. It's useful when I don't want

to carry the laptop for review and presentation. Since I now have about 20G worth of card

storage to work with, the P2000 will fit about double what I can store on cards and costs

about the same.

(Transcend 150x SD 2G cards are about $20 apiece now so that's $400 worth of cards and

$400 for the Epson P2000 40G ... Even if it cost the same it would still offer useful

additional functionality.)

Godfrey

I have about 8G of card storage (SD with D80) i will be getting D200 soon but keeping the D80, D200 CF cards, so want to avoid cards, i shoot raw 90% of the time. I tend to fill my cards, dont get time to go through them on PC, when time comes to go out and take more photos i dont want to format my cards, on the offchance there may be a good one on it. Don't mind if i can veiw images on storage device (prefer to see full on PC) somthing that can read raw file, with card reader would be great. Envy to all you USA 4GB cards $25, about six times that here in UK.

Take a look at the WOLVERINE FlashPac. You can get 80GB for around $170 here in the US. Reads and writes CF and SD cards (and a few other formats too). No preview of images, but if you don't need that it seems like good value.

You can always order it from the US if the UK price is too high!

I paid about $200 for a 20GB "Tripper" portable drive about 2 or 3 years ago, so prices have fallen quite a bit. I use it a lot less than I did because I now have about 10GB worth of CF cards and rarely fill them all up on a trip, plus I now usually carry a laptop with me anyway and can burn DVDs on the road.