Where to Purchase 5D Mark II?

joseph_krause

<p>Dear Photonet friends:<br>

My brother recently sent me this message. Could you provide any suggestions and comments about the no-name sites he mentions? Thanks, Joseph<br>

<em>"Need your advise/opinion on where to purchase the new 5D Mark ll. I've scoured the usual internet sites and it seems that the body with a 24-105mm L lens retails for about $3,500. B&H is probably the best standard out there, with other reputable sites offering similar pricing. I did notice a few no-name sites are offering the body for about $1,000 less, which lowers the kit price to about $2,500...but these bodies appear to be imports and don't recognize the US warranty. The lens appears to be genuine but is packaged in a "white box" which makes me wonder if it is a new lens. After calling around it seems these imports may not have english firmware as the default although I am being told the conversion to english is one of the options on the main menu of the camera. I'm a little suspicious if this is true but was wondering what you know. I'm inclined to give B&H my business (once again) but want to pause and complete my research before doing so. What's a smart move?"</em></p>

<blockquote>

<p>After calling around it seems these imports may not have english firmware as the default although I am being told the conversion to english is one of the options on the main menu of the camera. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's BS. Firmware is firmware. All the languages are in there. All you do is choose the preferred language. My wife keeps her Canon in Korean and it is a USA model.</p>

<p>A lolt of business can undercut B&H's price by a small amount and are legitimate. Sometimes they can save ya a benjamin but stick ya on shipping so it comes out about the same. However, $1000 less means you'll get a bait 'n switch dance and the "plastic" made in China 5DII for $2500 will be forever out of stock.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p><em>"Another option is to buy a factory refurbished one (preferably from a known retailer). I did just that, having bought mine from Adorama. Works like a dream"</em></p>

<p>That's what I did earlier this year - I bought the Canon refurbished Canon 1D3 and 1DS3 pair from Adorama for $7500. Not exactly cheap but "only" $2000 more than a pair of 5D2's. Those two cameras can do virtually any job I'm presented with and are built like tanks, and I can't foresee ever needing to replace them. As others have stated stick with either Adorama or B&H as they are honest and what they deliver on their promises. Never a hassle.</p>

<p><em>........bought mine from Adorama. Works like a dream :)</em><br>

<em>........I bought the Canon refurbished Canon 1D3 and 1DS3 pair from Adorama for $7500..........As others have stated stick with either Adorama or B&H as they are honest and what they deliver on their promises. Never a hassle.</em><br>

Great feedback, thank you! If you ever have any queries or concerns regarding Adorama Camera, or AdoramaPix, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.<br>

<strong>Helen Oster<br />Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</strong><br>

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com<br>

www.adorama.com<br>

</p>

<p>I buy a lot of gear from Adorama if I can't find it I go to B&H you can't go wrong with either. You might want to check out Newegg.com I just purchased the Canon 70-200 IS 2.8 from them and they were $200.00 cheaper. Fast shipping and US warranty.</p>

<p>The companies mentioned are all good but I'll also put in a plug for www.pcnation.com. They are a Canon USA authorized Canon dealer as well as a dealer for Nikon and SONY. They are located in Illinois. I've purchased quite a number of Canon products from them and they match or beat any legitimate online offer with free three day shipping in the US on any order over $75.00.</p>

<p><em>"but these bodies appear to be imports and don't recognize the US warranty"</em><br>

<em></em><br>

Not true. Canons (and Nikons etc) warranty is a global warranty. How else do you think travelers and PJs get their cameras fixed when they are tripping all over the world? I live in Australia and always buy my gear from either B&H or Adorama in NYC, online. Neither Canon nor Nikon here have ever dishonoured the warranty. Just keep your invoice as proof of date of purchase.</p>

<p>If you find the price way lower than the rest, it's a bait and switch scam. Check the rating from the site Mr. Mark Boyer recommended. When you order on-line, everything works, they take your money only to follow up with an email the NEXT day about not having the item you ordered in stock. They want you to call them. When you call them, they will tell you bunch of reasons as to why they are not in stock. Everything from, it's a non USA model, it has no CMOS sensor and you have to send it to Canon to have them install it for 800.00 more dollars. Then they tell you, since you have already put your order in, they can send you a complete camera for the same price as everyone else or wait 8 weeks for a refund! Stay away. Good luck v/r Buffdr</p>

<p >I attempted to buy a Canon A650 IS from a web dealer with a price that appeared to be by far the best available. They required a phone call to complete the deal, even though it was ordered through their website, during which a salesman tried to sell me an elaborate package of accessories for over a $100. I said no thanks and he politely said he would process my order. A few minutes later I received an E-mail stating that my order had been cancelled, no reason given. So apparently the price was too good to be true.</p>

<p>Kay<br>

You'll find them here:<br>

<a href="http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/Default.aspx?numrecs=50&searchinfo=refurbished&category=4294966337">http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/Default.aspx?numrecs=50&searchinfo=refurbished&category=4294966337</a></p>

<p><strong>Helen Oster<br />Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</strong><br>

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com<br>

www.adorama.com</p>