Where to go in Touraine, France for a few days

yuri_sopko

Sometime in for foreseeable future I will be stopping by in Touraine.

I know its SW from Cannes and East from Marseilles. I really would

like to stay in and around those areas, maybe rent a car, get some

cool Med shots, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions or a good book to pick up?

Thanks!

Coast road from Toulon to Marseille is great.

Try to see a French film, "Taxi!". Think it's a Luc Besson. Filmed in Marseille. Subtitled but

you'll forget that after about 5 mins.

St Tropez is overwhelmed, but pretty. Lots of pretty people and yachts.

Hyeres has very old quarters - well worth a wander with a 35mm lens or dslr equiv.

Provence (the region) is famous for lavender - find out when it blooms. Looks - and

smells! - gorgeous.

Don't miss the Grand Canyon du Verdun - second only to some other grand canyon

somewhere in the US, I think. ;-)

Gorgeous, laid-back part of the planet. I love it there. Have a great time.

Dear Yuri,

Are you entirely sure where the Touraine is? I used to live in the southern Touraine and now live slightly south-west of it, and we don't have a Mediterranean seaboard. In fact it's about 400 miles due south from my house to the Med.

The Touraine centres on Tours (no great surprise) and corresponds to the modern Indre-et-Loire. Richelieu is wonderful; central Tours is pretty good; the chateau of Loches is excellent; and there are endless villages of what the French themselves call 'la France profonde' or 'deep France', which are my favourite subjects. But there is no Mediterranean. The nearest Atlantic coast is pretty boring too.

It may be that I am completely wrong and that there is a town or village called Touraine where you describe, but I can't easily find it. If you are not exactly sure which Touraine you are going to, and I apologize if you are, then CHECK CAREFULLY. There are two Moncontours in France, for example, the best part of a day's drive apart (Bretagne and the northern Aquitaine).

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com -- where in the 'Travelogue' section of the Photo School there is a $2 section called 'La France Profonde')

Yuri, Touraine is in the Loire Valley, with all its wonderful chateaux, which, after a day or two, tend to all look the same (especially the interiors). Now, if you got the name wrong, there is a Tourette between Cannes and Nice, and there is Toulon SW of Cannes and east of Marseilles.

• 2 weeks later...

Toulane! That is where I was going. I don;t know how I got that mixed up. I must have been tired.

I have seen "Taxi, Taxi, Taxi!" by Luc Besson when I was in Praha for a bit. I really did like that movie. Much better than the American version.

Any ways, I'll try and rent a car and take that sea scape tour.